Vibration when braking question

My 2008 Grand Caravan was in for an oil change a few weeks ago. The Dodge dealer's SA said the front brakes were down to 2mm and needed new pads. I had them do the work (new pads and turning the discs) since I was planning a trip through the Sierra Nevada mountains. I recently returned from the trip and have started getting a vibration in the front end whenever I lightly apply the brakes. It gets worse as the pedal pressure increases, and then pretty much stops when the vehicle has almost stopped. . Van is the SXT with the 17" wheel option and has about 16,000 miles. I suspect that 16K is early for brakes, but there has been one similar trip last year to the Sierras, and weekly (during the summer months drives to and from the local mountains. This involves a decent of between 5000 and 6000 feet to get home. I do use the shifter to reduce the amount of braking needed when descending. 4th gear generally holds the speed to 55 which is the speed limit. I have made no panic or hard stops since the brake work was done. . Comments as to the cause? Prior to the brake work, I had no problems or complaints about the brakes.

Reply to
QX

Did they replace the pads - same rotors?

They may have put what I call "gummy" pads on. These are pads that have binders that melt and smear onto the rotors unevenly and cause the vibration on braking. Or it could be warped rotors, but people probably blame that far too often.

Reply to
Bill Putney
6000 ft isn't that high (i used to live at a 5550 in one town then moved up in the mountains to about 6900) but if he had some steep descents and was on the brakes quite a bit, i wouldn't be surprised if the rotors got a small warp in them now. question is....do they vibrate when the car and brakes are fairly cool (basically any time the brakes are applied , hot or cold), or only after the brakes have been used for a bit?

other question is did they do the rears? issue is most likely fronts but you never know.

Reply to
rob

According to the Dodge Dealership service order they: Installed 43060 Brake Kit. Installed 68029264AB Pad Kit, Front disc brake. Removed and replaced front brakes and resurfaced rotors. Verified repair. All OK.

Reply to
QX