why a tight steering wheel?

My 1996 Cirrus had a hole in the exhaust manifold, which was replaced. A couple days later I noticed something strange which the Dodge
mechanics, while aknowledging it exists, can't figure it out yet. I've no idea if it's related to the exhaust replacement or not.

Turns and wiggling the wheel back and forth is fine. After 20 mph and even more so after 40-50mph the wheel is very tight... like no play at all. I can control the car just fine but it's a much heavier steer. Fluid level is fine.
Now in other cars I've had power steering fluid leaks and power steering pumps go out and the result has always been really really hard steering from a standstill but easier steering at higher speeds. This is the opposite.
Is there anything I can tell the mechanic to specifically look for or test? They've had it 2 days with no luck so far.
thanks Randy
Crimped hose is my guess

most dealer techs will not install a power steering test kit that d.c has made a essential tool meaning all dealers have this tool on hand i have used it many a times and it will tell the tech if trhe rack is bad or binding or the power steering pump is bad and if both are indeed ok and the factory manual has it spelled out clearly so techs like max can understand it but i would bet he never has used it
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Interesting. Well as a followup.... The 5 star Dodge dealer couldn't "guarantee" the trouble was in the rack (they were 70% sure). I had no problem paying to fix it but I told them that if they installed a new $700 rack and the problem was still there they would have to put the old one back on and not charge me. They said no so I said bye. They told me it was either the rack or PS pump but they couldn't be sure. I'm not paying $700 bucks and then not have the car fixed.
They also said it wasn't a serious problem in that if it is the rack or pump it would slowly get worse... and if it got to the point that it was really bothering me they would be glad to take another look.
Funny thing is on driving it home it's now 10x better than it was. Not perfect but much improved, and I have no idea why. Maybe after a couple days it will revert back to tight?
&$$*&%# Car dealers!!!! The Chryler dealer across the street is no better so it may be back to an independent.
R -----
philthy wrote:

The reason I suggested a crimped hose is that maybe they moved something during the previous repair and crimped a hose. I had 2 91 Ford Taurus's. After a repair the power steering was noisy. Even at rest it made a sound like it makes when you were turning hard (maybe too hard..... people should not be straining the rack by turning the wheel all the way). Dealer swore it was normal and could not resolve it. I was getting rid of the car soon anyway and decided to forget it. In any case, years later, Ford had a TSB on Taurus's including my year that stated that power steering noises could be resolved by ensuring hoses were not crimped during installation. So I was thinking that maybe if a hose was crimped badly enuf, maybe it could affect the steering feel.

you can take it to max and he will sell ya both mand then find a binding balljoint is the cause