Hole in Exhaust

Ive got a very small hole (apprx 1cm square) in the rear box section of my exhaust, just before the tailpipe. The garage says the exhaust is 'blowing', and this section should be replaced.

Is there anyway of repairing this hole by putting something over it? Obviously whatever material used needs to withstand very high temperatures.

So, any ideas, or should I just go buy a new section?

Thanks

Reply to
James

Usually if it's holed (from rust) then there is little point repairing it as it will fail somewhere else very soon. Rear boxes are pretty cheap so just replace it.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

If the system has rusted enough to cause a 1cm hole, then I suspect if you poked it it would rapidly turn into a much larger hole! My experience of the "gun gum" putty stuff is that it maybe lasts a couple of weeks before it falls out - so not worth the effort/money.

The only time I *did* do a real repair on a box, it was because it was going to be 3 weeks to have another exhaust made up [kit-car] and then I used the side of an old Duckhams 1-gallon oil can and held it in place with 3 extremely-large Jubilee-clips. It was good enough to let me do another couple of thousand miles in relative silence before I could do the job properly.

Reply to
PJML

You can try an exhaust repair bandage, available from any half-decent motor bits shop, although this will rpobably only be temporary repair. If there's already one hole, then the exhaust isn't going to last much longer anyway. It might keep you goin for a few weeks, even months, but it's just delaying the inevitable. A new section will be required, so start shopping around/saving.

An exhaust bandage will probably set you back a tenner, plus an hour or two to fit it; A replacement back box may only be £30 or so (depending on the car), so start shopping around (Kwik-Fit/ATS/Tyre Sales/MasterFit, etc...). One of them normally has a sale on at some point so may do a cracking deal. Also check out a main dealer...sometimes they will surprise you, especially if it's a Vauxhall or Ford which have their own Fast-Fit section these days.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Howard

Sounds like a job for some exhaust bandage. Halfords sell it.

However, since exhausts rot from the inside out, you may find the rest will soon start falling apart.

Reply to
Scott M

I had a similar problem - small hole in a back box due to corrosion, exhaust gases escaping etc. The rest of the box looked sound enough (from the outside anyway) A friend fixed it by rivetting a metal plate about 5 inches square over the hole and sealing it with exhaust sealant. Really neat job gave no problems at MOT time and the repair lasted 3 years and 50k miles before it started to disintegrate. He also considered welding it but was wary of welding so close to the fuel tank so used rivets instead.

Brian

Reply to
brian doyle

I once tried repairing a back box by welding it with a mig set. It was like trying to fix a hole in a plastic bag with a blow torch. If you go for a new section/system dont rule out the independent tyre/exhaust fitters as where I live they beat the big guys most times over.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

jdsw snipped-for-privacy@Hotmail.com (James) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

If you are prepared to DIY it, then you can get new exhaust parts by mail order from:

they sell Bosal exhaust systems which a friend in the trade reckons are better than the Timax parts most fast fit shops supply. I bought a new exhaust system for an 2.5 V6 Omega from them and was very pleased with it. It cost £180 delivered about half the price I would have paid at a fast fit centre.

DaveW

Reply to
DaveW