Hole in exhaust question

I have a 93 SL and it has a hole in the exhaust pipe between the manifold and the CAT. The Saturn dealership wants $450 to install a new pipe.

Does this seem reasonable? Seems high to me. Does anyone know if the hole can be repaired say by welding a piece of steel over the hole?

Reply to
raymondj

The likelyhood of there being good metal to weld to is probably slim, since the hole is probably there because it rotted through. I bought a new downpipe - cat assembly from Joey @ 6thplanet cheap. Check with him......

BANDIT2941

Have you checked out a local exhaust shop to see what they would charge?

Reply to
David & Caroline

Not yet but I am going to. Does anyone know if this section is stainless like the rest of the exhaust ?

Reply to
raymondj

This pipe is available from Walker at local auto parts stores. I paid about $95 for the pipe and the 2 gaskets which are sold separately.

I replaced this pipe myself, and what a pain in the ass it was. ALL bolts/nuts were rusted solid. Fortunately, I was able to let the car sit for about 2 weeks, during which I repeatedly soaked the nuts/bolts with PBlaster penetrating oil. I then used a propane torch on the nuts/bolts, and to my astonishment none of them snapped.

My car is a 92 SL2 5 speed with 119k miles. The pipe sections were solid, but the corrugated/flexible area covered with mesh had been bad for quite a while.

Not including the time I spent spraying everything with PBlaster, I would guess I spent about 3 solid hours on this job in the driveway. Of course, most of this time was spent trying different techniques, etc. not just remove & replacing the pipe.

If you can't do this job yourself (I was very tempted to let a shop do it coz I did not want to deal with snapped manifold bolts) call around to see what you could get the pipe for, and don't let a shop charge, say, $250 for the pipe only. A shop should be able to do the job quicker too since the car will be on a lift (I jacked the car up one side).

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz