Power Steering Flush

My 2001 PT Cruiser started making noise when the steering wheel was turned a bit in either direction, especially when cold. My 5 Star dealer just called and recommended a flush and fluid replacement. Does this make any sense at

45,000 miles or so? (It uses Chrysler Power Steering fluid - they use an after market flush kit with after market fluid).

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

For what its worth I have a 1990 Mazda Protege (200K Miles) and did have a

1992 Grand Caravan (135K Miles) and never did a flush or fluid replacement. However the van did blow out it's rack seals to good effect...oil on the road etc...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Smith

Reply to
mic canic

It was a high pitched transaxle type noise. After the flush the sound went away.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

The 300M calls for a steering fluid change too and I was skeptical but some rubbing in the steering disappeared after the fluid change. Don't know if they also just lubed something that was binding.

sound went

Reply to
Art Begun

Is there such a thing as a cold-weather steering fluid? I have seen references on the Net to the existance of such a fluid that would make the wheel easier to turn when cold? (0°F and lower)

Reply to
BraytonAK

Well, Chrysler new used synthetic transmission fluid (+4) in this application for at least some models. This should do the trick once and for all.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard