HELP with convertible top.

I finally got my 'vert out of the shop... works great!! The guys at Vdubfolks in Irving, TX did GREAT. Still need to fix the top and replace scrapers and seals around the door windows etc. There seems to be a problem when folding it down it seems not to go down all the way. I have to fight it to go into the clips that hold it down. It's like trying to close an over stuffed suitcase. As I said before, this was a project car that belonged to some guy that got tired of it and slapped it back together in a hurry. What I'm saying is that I'm not sure if her got the top on right. I see no cables or anything... just the metal frame that holds it up. Does anyone know where I can get instructions on installing the top so I can double check it? BTW: It's a 1972 Super Beetle 'vert

Thanks!!

David

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

I feel your pain...I know how frustrating it is to get help on CV tops.

Just finished going through a full top installation. Here's what I learned. As far as I can tell, no company has instructions for replacing headliner, tops, etc. I bought the instruction booklet from KGPR for my KG. It's a photocopy on the VW shop manual. It shows how VW dealers would do it. You have to realize they are not doing a (cut to size) replacement. The are actually cutting material, sewing some stuff etc. Better than nothing, I guess. I called the top manufacturer for help. They told me to take to a pro shop!!!!! I got help from these sources: The photocopied booklet, Porter's VW Resto Guide, this NG and a lot of searching of the net to get any possible tidbit of info to make the install easier. Also, call local upholstery shops, drive the car there if possible and show them. You may be lucky and they'll tell you how YOU can fix it.

As to your question, for a Bug, the Porter book has a good amount of info.

As far as the top not going down, I was told that since it's new you need to 'break it in'. Try this.. On a warm day (so the vinyl gets softened) after letting the top warm up, put it down. I think the key is to help it along. According to the owners manual, the top goes towards the back of the car and the padding and headliner go towards the inside of the car. Then leave the top down for a couple days so it has a 'memory'.

good luck, Mel

Reply to
Mel P.

Thanks for the tips. I found the same photo copied manual available on ebay. I also found out that the folks at

not only has the top but alsoan installation video, of course for a nominal fee, but hey.. picturesare worth a thousand words. I need to get all my window seals andscrapers in first then I'll tackle the top. thanks,

David

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®