Gas tank, 58 chevy pu

Hello, I have a 58 chevy pu with a 79 camero clip on the front. I still have the original springs out back with the camero rear end mounted to them. What I would like to do next is get the fuel tank out of the cab. Just looking for ideas as what would be an economical and safe way to mount one underneath the truck Thank you for any input.

Reply to
GMat2600mhz

I am in the same process with my '58 Apache Fleetside. I have been told that the gas tank from a mid '80s Cadillac would easily bolt between the rear frame rails behind the rear end, then utilize an electric fuel pump. I haven't tried this yet, am still looking for a doner. If you find any more info, I'd like to hear it myself. Thanks

Reply to
MSHome

Geeze, you guys are makeing it hard for youerselves. Get a race car generic tank (such as from Jegs). The've sizes and shapes to fit most anywhere.

But having the tank in the passenger's compartment is great... I keeps you from driving like a moron. Now, if it would only keep the *other* guy from driving like a moron we'd be set. (Actually I drive like a moron anyway...)

My only question is: what the he11 were they thinking when they did that design?

Reply to
PeterD

Ya gotta remember, the majority of these trucks were sold to farmers, for farm use, and the designers probably figured the tank was less likely to get punctured by something while driving across the pasture if it was inside the cab, instead of underneath... It was a much slower pace back then, and a lot more rural than town or city... but who really knows...

Reply to
websurfer

Not sure how old you are, but I remember the late 50's as wild and wooly. Speed was king in those days, exactly like it is today--selling the biggest engine possible. Things didn't change till the late-50's when the economy went down the tubes. Humm, cause and effect?

LOL!

Reply to
PeterD

:>) Lets just say that I'm old enough to remember when a 1958 pickup truck was NEW, and the V-8 engine was still in it's infancy, relatively speaking, and yes, speed was becoming "the thing" in the late 50's, but it was focused in passenger cars, not pickups, which were still mainly sold to the working class, and farmers, and lagged behind in the performance realm.

Reply to
websurfer