1978 Triumph radio

Hello folks,

My '78 Spitfire has this AM/FM radio installed:

My question is: judging from its appearance and style, is this radio likely to be a dealer or factory installed radio ? There is no sign of brand or name. I have the feeling that it is a bit more recent than the car, maybe early 80's.

Anyone's guess ?

Thanks.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Flaherty

I'd be more than a little amazed if a 78 Spit came with an auto reverse tape deck from the dealership.. Not even sure such things existed at that point, but I'm sure someone like Dave Plowman will be along to correct me on that! :)

My guess is the same as yours, I reckon early 80s. I had a Dolomite 1500 with what I guessed to be the original radio (or aftermarket from around when the car was new) fitted, was a 78 car IIRC, and the radio was an mw/lw one, no tape deck or anything. Was a Radiomobile or Motorola I think, not sure on that though.

Reply to
Stuffed

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.videotron.net, Mike Flaherty decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Looks like a Pye set from about 1982 to me. I've got a very similar one here somewhere, same typeface, same chamfered edge on the volume and tone knobs.

This one doesn't sound bad either.

Reply to
Pete M

Well I wasn't very offtrack then on my estimate ! Mine sounds okay, but it cannot tune stations lower than 91 Mhz.

Thanks all

Reply to
Mike Flaherty

I have got a 1977 Dolomite Sprint and it has a original Unipart AM/FM radio fitted bloody thing doesnt work though......

Gaz

Reply to
Gazza