Classic Estate Car - suggestions

I currently have two classics on the road (1959 MO series V Farina and a

1969 Series 1 Rover 3500). I have a 1964 Rover P4 under restoration.

For day to day use my wife has a 1993 Series 2 Discovery (also good for towing a car trailer!) and I have a 1993 Peugeot 405 estate. I use the Pug estate to move my 7.25" trains around (in the estate part and also towing a trailer). I also use it for business miles (approx 5000 per year).

I am considering selling the Pug (too much electronics and too much chance of going wrong where I can't fix it!) and buying an estate car of "classic" vintage.

What would members of this newsgroup suggest? (It would need to be a roughly equal financial exchange, so we're looking at around £700 - £750 tops).

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
The Puffer Nutter

In news:YEyRb.560$ snipped-for-privacy@news-lhr.blueyonder.co.uk, The Puffer Nutter decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Mk2 Granada 2.8i Ghia X Estate. You should find a good one for that money.

Ignore the carb ones though, go for the injection.

Reply to
Pete M

I agree with the Granada. Also try: Volvo 260 or 260 pref. I run a Merc 124 series 300 estate but a 123 series 280 estate would suit you too. They've dropped in price considerably.

Regards

David

Reply to
David Lane

How about a Series II/IIa Landrover? Provided you don't mind the cold and wet

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The Puffer Nutter was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

Triumph 2000/2500? Volvo 145?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

snip

When was the last time you saw a 140 series Volvo on the road, 240 arent rare and a high percentage of Amazons survived but most 145s go worked to death by antique dealers, who usual scrapped them when the lower wishbone inner pivot bushes needed renewed -- no an easy or quick job.

Reply to
dilbert

snip

Hardly classic but but for load capacity a Granada estate would fit the bill likewise or 240 series Volvo. If you can get away with only a slightly smaller load bay try a Cortina or Rootes Arrow range -- with the arrow range beware rust on the vertical seam between the front inner wing and bulkhead as it is too involved to repair. There are some "Grandad" estates on E bay just now under "Automotive, Classic cars"

Reply to
dilbert

A Volvo 165 went past this morning when I was waiting for the bus up the hill. Does that count?

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article , ANDREW ROBERT BREEN writes

I don't remember there having been a 165. I thought the 265 was the first 6-cylinder Volvo Estate Car.

Reply to
Leroy Curtis

could be wrong - but it was the 1xx series shape, estate and had the high, square grille instead of the full-width one of the 144. Wonder if someone has done a bonnet transplant on a 145?

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In news:bv8hkd$61o7$ snipped-for-privacy@central.aber.ac.uk, ANDREW ROBERT BREEN decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

165s did exist. My dad had a few of them years ago, as did the 164.

IIRC, the 164 was like a 144 but with front fog / driving lamps.

Back in the days when Volvos were easy to work out..

first number = series second number = number of cylinders third number = number of doors.

how easy life was back then.

Reply to
Pete M

In article , Pete M writes

H'mm....according to Graham Robson's book "The Story of Volvo Cars," the

16x was produced as a saloon only. Production figures for the 140/160 series are given as: 144 4-door Saloon 1966-74 523,808 142 2-door Saloon 1967-74 412,986 145 5-door Estate Car 1967-74 268,317 164 4-door Saloon 1968-75 155,068

Making a total of 1,360,179 cars.

A Google search turns up references to a 165 someone has made himself, (), a prototype of an ambulance wearing Gothenburg number plates which has disappeared (), and nothing else apart from numerous references to Volvo's 165 marine engine. I certainly seem to remember that 165s weren't made. Are you sure your Dad's cars weren't 145s, or 265s?

The picture of the 165 isn't actually available when I view the page.

4 inches longer in the wheelbase, all forward of the bulkhead, so that the straight 6 B30 engine would fit without altering the car's structure aft of the scuttle, or relocating the clutch and gearbox. A 144 and a 164 were virtually identical from the windscreen back. It had, therefore, unique front wings, as well as the more upright grille flanked either by additional cooling grilles or front foglamps, depending on market and specification. I'm sure there was no good reason why Volvo couldn't have built a 165, but I'm also sure they didn't.
Reply to
Leroy Curtis

In news: snipped-for-privacy@baram.demon.co.uk, Leroy Curtis decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

You're only right. Problem with trying to remember back nearly 30 years I spose.

Twas a blue 164 saloon.

While we're on the "definition of cars" bit, I've just found a Glass's Car Check Book for cars from 73-81.

(Check book is the guide they did which is just car specs, no prices.)

this is what it has to say about the 164.

Jan '73 4 dr. saloon introduced. Styling resembles 140 but rect. grille of vertical bars, single headlamps & circular air intake grilles. 145 b.h.p. engine. Available with manual gearbox or overdrive with power steering or automatic with power steering. w.b. 8'11". O/length 15'5". Width 5'8 1/4"

between Jan and Jun '73 fitted with electronic Fuel injection

Aug 73 discontinued.

October 73 Saloons E modified as 144 GL including electronic Fuel Injection system

Saloon TE introduced. As 164E with auto and fuel inj. & power asstd. steering, air conditioning, head restraints and headlamp wash/wipe standard.

August 74. Discontinued. Final chassis number.

Reply to
Pete M

Many years ago I had a 1965 Hillman Super Minx estate on which I had done some "mild" modification work , which included the fitting of a Sunbeam

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

How much would a Volve P1800ES go for these days I wonder?

Reply to
The Blue Max

I know of at least one 164E [the fuel-injected version] which was sacrificed at the end of the 1970s and the engine used in a Marcos. It had the Bosch "D-Jetronic" injection [early analog-electronic system using manifold-absolute-pressure sensing] and ran like a pig until a return-line was fitted from the fuel-pressure-regulator back to the tank. The poor little injectors couldn't seal properly against 120PSI line-pressure!

Reply to
PJML

Last time I looked, the MkII Granny was getting quite expensive to buy. I wouldn't have thought the OP would find a decent estate for much less than £1500.

Reply to
SteveH

I liked the 140 model.

Found this on the 'net:

So, that where TWR got their idea from ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

In article , The Puffer Nutter writes

I don't know if you'd consider it "classic" (I didn't) but I found my

1983 VW Passat estate to be a wonderful car. The only electronics (outside the radio) is a contactless distributor.

Of course, being a Triumph fan, I'd have to say the 2000 estate (particularly in 2500S form) is a very fine car.

Reply to
Robert Pearce

Practical Classics is doing a feature on classic estate cars this month - might be worth picking a copy up..

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN