Clutch despair

Don't think I'd take kindly to paying for a new cylinder head because they'd sheared the studs from exhaust to manifold then manifold to head. And of course break the cylinder head studs, so a new engine. And break the mountings when removing it. Bugger. How much for that new car?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

snip

The proper way with exhaust manifold studs is if any problem is even hinted at when you start to loosen them is to remove manifold(s) complete with down pipe and get on the bench BEFORE breaking the studs or rounding them nuts any futher. Held firmly in the vice the studs and nuts can be wire brushed, and soaked properly before removal with a decent ring spanner (much less likely to break studs as using a ring spanner at bench height you have much better control than working upside down a socket + long extension), If that fails the nuts can be heated to cheery red or expanded gently with cold chisel (an old fashioned engineers skill how many exhaust "fitters" would know how to to that ?) or nut splitter or just cut sliced down the side with a hacksaw. Then all that remains is to run a die nut down and fit new (brass) nuts.

This is the fastest way to do it and saves a lot of time and labour and

99 time out of a 100 the nuts will come off without problem if done this way. This was the standard way of dealing with the particularly nasty manifold flanges on the the later Avenger models -- The inlet and exhust manifold complete with downpipe (and carb with airfilter) would be taken out through the top --- we did them all this way as it was less labour than even trying to get downpipes off the manifold normally even if they weren't bady corroded.

With the series 1 XJ the only real problem when dealing with the exhausts was with the bit of the tailpipes that run next to diff output shafts - getting that right was a bugger.

Reply to
awm

Agreed - but a lot of modern cars are absolute b*stards to work on and so the time penalty is high. But you are right, it is not often ( in my experience ) that a bodge comes off......

As an example, 6 cylinder 3 series bmws - it really is crammed in :-( I almost used to enjoy working on some of the older cars ( do I really mean that ? ) - the parts were a little more accessable.

Steve

Reply to
sro