FA: Triumph Stag with manual overdrive on eBay

Hello,

The description and the pictures don't seem to match -

"I've driven this car for 16 years in which time I have spent over £15,000 (with bills to prove) which has included a full bodywork and mechanical restoration. "

Look at it, it's falling apart! Surely the seller has put the wrong pictures on the site.

Reply to
AM200

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "AM200" saying something like:

The car's 30 years old - he probably did the restoration shortly after buying it, when it would have been 14 years old and more than likely needing it. It's a bit pointless mentioning it if the car's reverted to an unrestored state.

And 3 grand? For that? No way.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Could be fun for a grand though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Plus about ten grand more - if done by a garage - for the welding to get it through the MoT. At a guess. Do you see the clearance on that front tyre? Or lack of clearance. And the rest.

The really big selling point there is it has a genuine Triumph v8 engine. It's rare, most people replaced them with the more powerful, reliable and easy to come by SD1 v8 engines. Course, there's no way to know what condition it is in.

I don't know what Stags fetch these days, but I think it's of the order of twelve grand so three for a basket case might be fairly reasonable. HST, there is no way I would click that particular button, and I reckon nobody in rec.cars.maint or uk.rec.cars.misc will be up for it.

u.r.c.classic, maybe a good call.

Reply to
Sales!

I love Triumph Stags, but all the above comments were what went through my mind too . I thought 3 grand oooo! then I scrolled down to the pix and went yuk!!

Jon

Reply to
Jon

It's not true that most have had their engines replaced. Look at any ads in the classic press and you'll find it's not that common.

The days of Stags routinely fetching 12 grand are gone - you'll get a very nice one for half that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

This is a popular myth. Most of the Stags still running have the original engine and in general the reliability issues which existed when the cars were new (largely due to shoddy workmanship) have been ironed out.

A good Stag will go from anything upwards of 8 or 9 grand - a really good one might even be 15. This one doesn't look good though - couple of grand tops I reckon.

Reply to
Doug

Get a good one -

's in NZ and still worth shipping. Plus numerous other Brit classicsfrom relatively rustfree NZ. Cheers

Reply to
Classic Car Fair

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Sales! decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Not when you could have my 500 SEL which needs less work for £350...

That's one of the reasons why I wouldn't buy a Stag (unless it had the Rover motor in)

Reply to
Pete M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@orcon.net.nz, Classic Car Fair decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

just had a look at that site and found this

*DROOL*
Reply to
Pete M

Those Merc V8s are excellent. Had a 350SE for six hard years, flogging it. You guys would enjoy a holiday over here, with some of these old cars still driven daily, and long empty country roads to beautiful destinations. Talked to a bloke from UK/Sth Africa last night; he has migrated to NZ after a trip round the South Island in his 62 E-type, which sold him on the place. Now he has a large collection of nice cars that you can't get or afford in the UK.

Reply to
Classic Car Fair

PS, a bunch of you can come over together and travel round in this -

you can sample our wines and beers as you enjoy the scenery.

Reply to
Classic Car Fair

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "AndrewR" saying something like:

I saw that - a mere tenner. Never mind, there's loads more out there somewhere.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yeah, apparently so. The particular example was definitely dodgy.

Reply to
Sales!

Oh, ok.

That's a bit of a shame. I like the Stag design and it's not great when it becomes less valuable.

Reply to
Sales!

In news: snipped-for-privacy@orcon.net.nz, Classic Car Fair decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Strangely enough, I was thinking about getting a Capri from NZ. That Perana replica is basically my dream car, but I'm afraid I'd have to make it into a replica of the Basil Green / Gunston one. Shame I can't afford the GT40 suspension and brakes to finish the job properly :-(

(or the flight to NZ)

Reply to
Pete M

Plenty of standard-ish Capris still on NZ roads, cheap. Not appreciating yet.

Reply to
Classic Car Fair

I'm not so sure. It's said to be mechanically sound and roadworthy. If, as well, the interior, hood and chrome etc is good, then the cost of sorting the bodywork and paint might make it a viable proposition.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

A nice Mk1 1/2 3.0 GT or E is what I'd want, I wonder what they're worth...

Reply to
Pete M