Fuel Costs

Hi,

Apologies for the obvious X posting but I thought it might be worth it to us all in the end.

"Someone came up with an idea, you never know it might work.

We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer. Want petrol prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP at 77p -80p, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point; keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a; lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then

30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it. THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE! Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (And not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

Action: It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons (75p) Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso."

Kind regards.

Nigel (Remove the error to reply)

Reply to
Nigel Cox

It is perfectly obvious to any thinking person that it is the UK Government that has conditioned us to the price of road fuel. After all, by far the highest proportion of the cost is tax. America pays the same market price for their oil as we do but the pump price is a bit lower ;-(

What you do about it is up to you, but don't blame the OPEC for high prices in the UK because they only get a fraction.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

yaaaaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnnnnn...........

Reply to
Eric Shune
:

And who do you think make the petrol for Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys and Morrisons?

Reply to
Mjolinor

Maybe they make their own from waste food in a shed out the back LOL

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Sun, 30 May 2004 17:21:07 +0100, "Mjolinor" enlightened us thusly:

quite. but they sell at a lower profit or even zero profit to attract custom.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys and Morrisons do but BP and the like make the profit just the same which is why the plan won't work.

Reply to
Mjolinor

On or around Mon, 31 May 2004 06:40:59 +0100, "Mjolinor" enlightened us thusly:

well, aye. and besides, the supermarkets do a deal with BP et al to buy at prices that ordinary franchise garages can't compete with. Not that I approve, entirely...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yeah right...

Buy your petrol from those listed above fed from the same refinieries as those you're going to blacklist.

Give you a clue dumbass...

They all come from the same refineries.

Reply to
Conor

This whole thing is a big scam by our goverment !!, why do you think that in every pound of fuel we pay for 70p is tax !!!

it's all well everyone on here punning idea's but you are not happy about it either, best to encourage idea's to lower the fuel...., this post will only effect the garages run by bp and esso if this happens it will put the garages out of buisness and mean less profit's for the two companies.., yes you are right in that the two companies supply the fuel to all of the other garages but if that little bit extra is done to hurt the backbone then it's good i guess..

we need to shout out and be heard about this now as in the papers yesterday there was a page with how much fuel is due to go up and could be as much as £1.20 a litre !!!!!!!, yet usa has only 50cents a litre, gibralta only has it's fuel set at 49p per litre, spain at 50p per litre...., so how come we are paying way over the odds !!! i tell you GREEDY GOVERMENT !!!

make a stand any way possible, and for all of those who are disaprooving any idea well you must be hapy with paying the high prices... more fool you..

Reply to
moo'er

You seem to be a little confused. You blame the government, yet suggest hitting the oil companies.

Currently, road fuel duty stands at around 47.1 pence per litre on petrol, regardless of how much that litre costs at the pump.

On top of that is VAT at 17.5% on the pump price (just under 15% of the price you pay).

This means that on a litre costing 80p, the guv'ment is taking about

59p. For every penny that the pump price rises, the extra revenue in tax amounts to the VAT fraction of that penny = less than 0.15 pence. If the cost of a litre goes up to 120 pence, the duty rate will stay the same, but there will be some extra revenue from VAT; in this case the total going to the Exchequer would be a little under 65p

In September the duty rate on a litre goes up by 1.42 pence per litre of sulpher-free stuff (a bit more on stuff with sulpher in it). With VAT on it, this will cause petrol to rise by about 1.67 pence per litre. If petrol prices rise at the pump by about 11 pence per litre before the September duty rise, then the government will get the same revenue from VAT alone without the need to apply the duty rise.

Now, if you think there is too much tax on fuel, the oil companies will agree with you, so hitting them in any way won't help anything (assuming your proposals will affect them at all).

If you think that recent petrol rises are the fault of the guv'ment, well you may be right, but not necessarily in the way that you think. Overall, we have little direct say in the cost of a barrel of oil.

If you think that lowering tax on fuel will make us all better off, many economists will disagree, because the Chancellor has revenue and spending targets - you will just move the tax to a different place. Lowering the tax on fuel will do nothing to prevent rises due to problems in Saudi.

If you think you are spending too much for fuel for your personal transport, campaign for a régime change by all means, but it may be more than just our government you need to overthrow. Meantime, here are some alternative suggestions that many people find beneficial:

Walk more Use a bicycle Use a more economical car Alter you driving style Convert to an alternative fuel

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Despite being a died in the wool petrolhead I have to agree. Nothing is going to have any effect on our fossil fuel dependence like rising prices. BTW I don't have any problem with preserving old cars as the total fuel consumption from them is miniscule compared with modern juggernauts and fleet cars. I notice this was cross-posted to uk.rec.cars.4x4, and I am inclined to put those in the juggernaut class as well.

Reply to
Les Rose

Odd comment as my modern 4x4 does much the same mpg as my 40 year old classic

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Is it a 40 year old Landy by any chance though?

FWIW, I reckon the internal combustion engine to be a reasonable way to move a car, and there are alternate fuels for them, if only people would develop and market them. Cooking oil's already being used in the diesel, and I've seen sites about running on alcohol. In most cases there's not a great deal involved to run on bio fuels, and they have the advantage of being zero net emission, or at least damned near.

Reply to
Stuffed

message

Just shows that 40 years of progress can be completely nullified by driving an extra pair of wheels and endowing the thing with the aerodynamics of a shed ;-)

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

No it's a 3 year old Landrover Disco versus a 40 year old Austin Healey 3000 !

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Whatever happened to the pilot scheme when they ran buses on rape seed oil? I guess it wasn't a success. I liked the idea of fermenting corn flakes to get motor fuel, not heard much on that in the last few years either - they could brew it at the back of supermarkets :-)

Reply to
Jonathan Halsall

You mean Bio-diesel. All I can say is that you must live like a hermit if you haven't heard news stories etc about the use of this alternate fuel!.....

Reply to
Jerry.

I suspect that biodiesel will always be a minority fuel, just the sheer amount of agricultural land required to fuel a nation should see to this.

Reply to
Mark W

stop all this blather about petrol prices - 2 reasons

1 - our countries'tax take is 40% vs around 50% in mainland europe so in fact our TOTAL tax is less -think of our lower levels of VAT, NI, corportion tax, paye etcand if it was not for our prevarication with the euro lots of companies would move here (or at least their head offices) from europe because of our lower taxes

(if you really want cigs/booze/petrol at euro levels then we shall certainly have a 40% starting level for PAYE as in some other countries or vat at 25% or more - skools/hospitals/roads etc etc have to be funded somehow in a civilised country)

2- high petrol costs will make the roads clearer for the rest of us if the
Reply to
maxwell