Fuel Costs

Hi,

Apologies for the obvious X posting but I thought it might be worth it to us all in the end.

"Someone came up with an idea, you never know it might work.

We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer. Want petrol prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP at 77p -80p, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point; keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a; lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then

30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it. THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE! Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (And not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

Action: It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons (75p) Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso."

Kind regards.

Nigel (Remove the error to reply)

Reply to
Nigel Cox

Rather than spending all your time coming up with these ridiculous ideas, why not just calculate out the amount you actually spend on petrol each year and compare it to your other taxes / expenses. Compared to the other expenses, it really is not a big deal - it is just a more obvious one since you have to pay every time your tank is on empty.

My suggestion? Get over it. Yes, your petrol prices seem high. But, just remember that ten years from now you will look back on these prices fondly. And, if you can't afford it -- try driving less. Now that would REALLY make a difference.

fp

Reply to
Ford Prefect

Apologies in advance for telling you to f*ck off, but I thought it might be worth it to us all in the end.

HTH

Reply to
Lordy

So you're happy to give all your money to Bliar to piss away on crap?

Reply to
Huge

If you're worried about fuel costs, I assume you drive a diesel. Lots of good turbo-diesels with petrol performance and brilliant economy about, and no good reason to avoid them.

Not much sense emptying the oil wells first just to make you realise it's a limited resource.

Beer is about 95% water and you pay around £20 a gallon for that.

Reply to
Dave Hall

Yes, stop posting this stuff, don't you realise that we are powerless sheep unable to influence big industries and have no political say, you know it makes sense to form a line like loyal British subjects... £5 a gallon? Bring it on ;-)

--Steve

Reply to
Tunafish

You think it's because of the "big industries" that petrol price is so high ?

It makes no sense to spam a gobshite "plan" which only a dribbling retard would have any faith in to every newsgroup in existence.

Only a matter of time.

Reply to
Lordy

Cox by name, c*ck by nature

Reply to
Max Hamlet

I'm switching to drinking petrol ;-)

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I don't object to people protesting about fuel prices, especially when the price of fuel is high and it's down to the Labour government operating without understanding the reality of the situation.

But the OP is spamming newsgroups and putting people off the idea rather than having any positive value to whoever is organising that.

Reply to
Questions

Ah, total apathy, that's what the government likes to see. They tell you they need money from taxes to spend on the things they tell you you need, and then say they actually need some more money this year to spend on you. And then drop some bombs on some people you didn't ask them to, hand out some cash to someone in a country you've more than likely never heard of, and create a few schemes to win votes, that you pay for.

And you lap it all up, without ever questioning how they managed to do just as little now as they ever did, even though they're taking more of your money to do it with.

Reply to
Stuffed

Er, how ?

Their profit margin on each litre of fuel, is approximately 1p - they have

*ZERO* leeway to lower their prices !
Reply to
Nom

For diesel owners, can't we burn taxed veggie oil/chip pan fat instead?

And for every gallon of used fat we burn, the government should reimburse us with some money for our commitment over enviormental conservation, and instead of having a lowered road tax band, we should all get paid when we get our tax disc renew.

~ Chris

Reply to
Chris

As I understand it, the petrol stations are in such a competive business that they are little more than price takers, the oil companies make very little from the petrol retailing part of their business.

I think about 60p of the fuel price is tax, that's where any action should be directed. It's ludicrous to here Gordon Brown saying that other oil producing countries should increase their production so that the price of oil will come down, when he adds about 80% to the cost at the pump. Effectively, he wants OPEC to subsidise his high level of fuel taxation. If a few million of us used our vote to tell this government that we are unhappy with the level of fuel taxation, then something may be done about it.

andy.

Reply to
Andrew Favell

Spot on !

Reply to
Nom

I calculated the cost in time worked to buy a gallon of petrol when I started driving and now. The price in the mid sixties was the equivalent of about £5.20 a gallon, when the increase in the typical working wage is taken into account. Taxes are the cost of living in a developed and civilised country - pity the average Saudi doesn't get much of the profit from oil, just the royals. You should be worrying about the inflation in house prices, as it takes two incomes not one to buy a house these days.

Reply to
Dave Hall