How we can help lower gas pump prices.

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It's worth your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea. This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How?

Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x

10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers.

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all! (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am. so trust me on this one.) :-)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Reply to
Tom

This is so dumb it isn't funny. For one thing, the fuel companies trade amoungst themselves at the wholesale level all the time. Even if no Exxon station ever sold another gallon of fuel, Exxon would still be making plenty of money because they would simply market their fuel through other retailers. The vast majority of the profits happen way before the point-of-sale.

There is only one real way to help reduce the cost of fuel, and that is to use less of it. Fuel prices are set by marginal supply:demand relationships. A 10% increase in demand drives a much higher than 10% price increase. Likewise a 10% decrease in demand drives and greater than 10% decrease in price.

There is no good reason every person in America couldn't figure out how to reduce their fuel consumption by 5% or more starting tomorrow. Of course first people would have to actual become concious of how much fuel they are using.

Blaming the BIG COMPANIES instead of taking personal responsibility for each of our roles in the problem is typical of the modern spoiled American.

John

Reply to
John Horner

snip

There is no way in hell this will work. The sooner we face the fact that $2 a gallon gas is history the better off we will be.

Reply to
Scott

An ignorant idea based on false assumptions.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Maybe this would work if EVERYONE bought an electric powered car within the next month, then prices would HAVE to lower, but thats not likely.

Reply to
Adam

As you said. What would work is to give up suv's for better milage vehicles. My old 92 Grand Am (23.8 mpg city) is one of the few cars to be seen in Houston. Almost everyone else here drives a large pick up or suv. The low mpg suv craze was noticed by opec and the oil companies.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

This would never work because there are now more countries buying up the oil, making less available to the US and Europe. Also, we are not allowed to drill for our own oil or build new refineries because of the environuts that control the congress and senate. Gettig rid of SUV's would solve little but getting rid of the environuts would go a long way toward solving some of these problems.

Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Wed, Apr 12, 2006, 2:35am (EDT+4) From: " =AB Paul =BB"@houston.rr.com (=AB=A0Paul=A0=BB) As you said. What would work is to give up suv's for better milage vehicles. My old 92 Grand Am (23.8 mpg city) is one of the few cars to be seen in Houston. Almost everyone else here drives a large pick up or suv. The low mpg suv craze was noticed by opec and the oil companies.

Adam wrote: Maybe this would work if EVERYONE bought an electric powered car within the next month, then prices would HAVE to lower, but thats not likely.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Rich B

Yes. Good point.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Thank you for your inputs. It is nice to hear what other people think.

Reply to
Tom

Joining the crowd on this, don't hold your breath for $1.30 oil. It is most likely gone FOREVER.

Prepare to pay $3 and up for awhile.

To all those who bought gas guzzling SUV's, enjoy them, (even though it may feel like you are paying alimony.) MobilExxon thanks you, ChevronTexaco thanks you, and their stockholders thank you.

Any car I buy now will have to get near 30 mpg on the highway or more. I will personally watch my driving habits, and plan my trips, as I am on a retirement income. And I will get my bicycle out for the shorter errands... probably live longer that way anyhow.

Reply to
<HLS

Yea. We pretty much figure you are a dope, someone who latches on to whatever comes along and thinks it's a good idea until the next thing. You contribute to a low grade form of computer virus by spreading this crap around and taking up bandwidth.

Reply to
Al Bundy

On 4/12/06 7:41 AM, in article

6I5%f.65132$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com, "Tom" spewed forth this gibberish...

I buy about 20 gallons of fuel per week to power my 96 GMC Jimmy back and forth to work. That's $50 at $2.50 per gallon per week. If gas went to $5 per gallon it would be $100 per week, and I could still afford it without changing anything (barely). I'm probably considered lower middle class ($50k annually between the wife and I). I know the bulk of the middle class has more money than that to play with, so they could afford that too.. I would expect gas prices to steadily increase until the majority of people just plain *can't* afford it.. Say $8-$10 per gallon?

Reply to
Michael Keefe

HEY !!

Lets build/sell BIGGER, HEAVIER SUV's and pickup trucks. ! With HUGE V-8 motors that get less than 15mpg.

But we'll compensate by putting in 100 gallon gas tanks. That way, you'll only have to fill up once a week.

Reply to
Anonymous

That is what usually happens when the price of gasoline goes up, the people with the econoboxes drive less. Those that can afford 50K or 70K to buy what they buy don't seem to worry about the price of the fuel they need.

The people that are thankful for high gas prices are the commodious buyers, they are the ones making the most money off of gasoline, along with the government LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

What would happen to the price of electrity? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The average American is buying more foreign products every day. If they do not even care about sending their own jobs overseas, why do you believe they would be concerned about buying imported fuel for their imported car?

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

What make you believe the oil companies can control the price of gas? If they actually could control the price, the price would never go down. The only was the average person can save money on fuel is to buy stock in one of the commodities companies. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

They dont directly control the world crude oil prices. But they have a vested interest in them... Those companies which refine crude to produce gasoline and other products could conceivably sell the gasoline over a range of prices...If they conspired, the refiners could get a pretty penny for gasoline. They could take scalps.

If they chose to enter fuel wars, they could possibly sell it a bit cheaper than we would predict.

For example, a barrel of crude is 42 US gallons, or 168 US quarts. If that barrel costs $70, then they would have to refine a product mix that would yield an average of $0.42 per quart, or $1.68 per gallon to break even.

Lubricating oil and other specialty distillates make more than that by far. So gasoline is almost like a waste product.. They COULD sell it for less, but why should they??

The oil companies are not in it to subsidize goobers with guzzling SUV's. They want to make money from that barrel of oil...

Reply to
<HLS

The world in general may be out of oil as soon as 2012, 30 years later at the outset. And you're scheming how to make it cheaper, thus using more, and accelerating the process.

6 or 7 dollars a gallon is more appropriate for the present. Tune up your Moped. No, I'm not kidding.

Major world problems: population growth, resources to support such a population including oil, food sources, and potable water. Economic systems, especially the USA, all depend on more population, resources, and productivity.

But for fun, guess all can talk about the futile and short (and getting shorter) term crapola you're speaking of.

Reply to
Jonny

Can we assume you never heard of the commodities market, where the price of crude is set by competitive buyers? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter