I have a 1970 or 60s Model Spitfire

i am buying a Spitfire from my boss and he says it has a slight problem with the reverse gear! When you are useing the reverse gear it is all ways sounding like it is trying to knock it self out of Reverse! i still need to tune the CVCarberator on it! Another quick question whats the tuneing ratio for it 1o to 5 or 12 to 7??

Thanks Sarah

Reply to
Sarah

How can a gearbox sound as if it's trying to knock itself out of reverse?

Could you rephrase those sentences in english, perhaps with meaning?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

The reverse gear thing could be overdrive stuck in the engaged position. If so this is bad news & likely has caused serious damage to the overdrive. Would not recommend buying if this is the case. If it doesn't have overdrive then obviously this isn't hte cause.

What on earth is CVCarberator????? & no idea what you mean by tuning ration.

Reply to
DougP

Very expensive fix. Means replacing the gearbox. Allow 500-1000 quid for this job if a garage has to do it.

Another fault? Get pro advice. If it is just a simple adjustment why wasn't this done before?

I ain't got a clue what you're talking about.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Any noise from the gearbox when in first gear, if so it's the usual problem of worn out layshaft bearings - a reconditioned gearbox is the only cure.

Sorry but that's a meaningless sentence, even if it's reconstructed around possible typo's!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Maybe not that bad. A recon box is =A3215 from Canley Classics, and a halfway competent garage shouldn't take more than half a day to fit it. Worth doing the clutch at the same time though.

OK, 500 quid-ish.

Don't buy the car!

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Another priceless post by Sarah.....

DougP

It could be an idler with a chipped or broken tooth. If so, the bits will be in the gearbox somewhere and could do a lot of damage.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

OK, that would make a noise. I just can't imagine what a gearbox "trying to knock itself out of reverse" sounds like.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Given the OP's clarity of expression (tuning ratio ???), I couldn't be sure either, but assumed it meant some sort of regular knocking.

It couldn't be a shredded UJ because that would make a noise in forward gears too. So there are only really two sources of noise in reverse only. Someone else mentioned an overdrive stuck on so that reverse fights against the unidirectional clutch. Which just left a problem with the reverse idler, so I threw that into the conversation.

I think the consensus is clear - either don't buy this car, or budget for a replacement gearbox if you do.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

= Zenith Stromberg. Better be ready to replace all rubber bits.

?? to you too. Tappet clearance in thou?

Peter Hill

20 to 8. According to my watch.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

If so, best replace the carb with the correct one, taking the year from the subject line surely there should be twin SU's?

Reply to
:Jerry:

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Geoff Mackenzie, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

6 to 1 joint favourite, according to John McCrirrick.
Reply to
Pikey Pete

Well, write that down so you won't have to ask again.

Rob

One of Damon Runyon's characters reckoned that life in general was 6 to 5 against, so if given an even chance he always took it.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Ian, you arrogant, thick, uneducated 'c*ck' .

Reply to
pissfall