what have i done!

gone halfs with my mate on that bluebird turbo, idiot salesman that took it in put 24k down for millage when it's 100k!

still we nabbed it for 60 quid! we're just gonna tidy it up together and flog it somewhere on the web i think, probably old ebay! i got the comp no how to sell it (mate aint a clue with computers and shit like that) and he has the skills to get it looking better than it does and i'm willing to learn/help so could be a giggle, we'll run about in it now and then and flog it when the weather picks up probably. could be a giggle. not bad considering we both going halfs on it so 30 quid each haha paid more for a xbox 360 game!

exhaust is blowing but is costing sweet FA to get fixed, he knows a mate who could repair it or replace it for nowt.

considering a few tweaks for a mess about, anyone know what kinda boost the old lumps can take before pop happens? might up the boost and dump valve it round town while it's still in shed like form for a little bit of a chuckle :)

Reply to
Vamp

But, please, run your eBay listing through a spelling checker.

Or don't. I love some of the adverts I find for cars on eBay. In fact, you must use phrases like "No time wasters" "Remember youre bidding to buy" "Sort after car" and so forth.

In red.

In 18 point text.

Oh, and use a cameraphone, on a rainy day, and don't take any useful pictures.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

That would be: 'your' bidding to buy.

My favourite, by a country mile has to be:

'lambada' sensor.

That comes up rather a lot.

Reply to
SteveH

It hurt me enough skipping the apostrophe.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Didn't dell bot say once "Lamdada the night away", perhaps you could put that :)

Reply to
Ronny

you guys really know how to put together a s**te ebay auction haha!

Reply to
Vamp

Christ, that's all we need, a Dell Bot. :-)

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Good man Retro-J Turbo bonkersness. Need pictures.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

"Loverly Jubb...Does not compute....Rodney"

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Oh man that cracked me up... So if the lambada is playing, it affects the engine? Must make a note of that.

Nick

Reply to
NickD

Aaagghh.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Good man!! Might be tempted to buy it off you when you're finished :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

gave it a run today, drives sweet according to my mate, he took it out at lunch to see how it went. i can't because well i can't make it look like i bought it haha. anyway it's off into my mates garage saturday and we get to work on the blowing exhaust next weekend.

will get pics soon and update pics as we go. me and my mate was planning on getting it looking clean then flogging it but i reckon we should hang onto it for a giggle. just love that shed with go look hehe.

just had to buy it! miss my jap crap!

Reply to
Vamp

Well if you have scout around the Internet you may learn a lot more. You're not the first person in this country the mess with a Bluebird ZX turbo.

at bottom of home page shows conversion to FR CA18DET. Same engine in 200SX S12 and 52 SS1's (slightly rare).

T2 Turbo is not water cooled so you should be steady with it for last

2 miles before stopping or let it idle about 1-2min before switching off. Not such an issue on stock boost as it's not working too hard but if you wang the boost up it will be.

Just stack the actuator out on washers to up the boost but before that you need a boost gauge, don't even think about guessing it and the dash gauge is crap. For up to 10psi a Gunsons Lo-gauge will do (may cost more from halfords) [1].

- "Standard boost is 5psi. you can run about 9psi without anintercooler 12/13psi with an intercooler, big intercooler and run15psi but the turbo life is not very long." Also have to remove orclamp shut the "pop off valve" in the manifold that prevents highboost fun. So 9psi for straight off, or everyday use, then with theright bits more boost for airstrips and tracks. If you double your investment and your mate can knock up a bigger bore exhaust for £5 then close to 200bhp at 1bar boost is yours for the taking. Wacomuk in S12 tech section of SXOC has a dyno graph says

199bhp for a CA18ET on 1bar (14.7psi). Volvo intercooler (SAAB will do too, either shouldn't be more than £25 with loads of pipe work), k&n filter (quick and crude - just take the lid off and cable tie the stock one on), exhaust (2.5" at least), uprated fuel pump (shouldn't be more than £70 new), timing set to 17.5 deg

Ignition timing and Fueling are the key to reliable high boost power, that fuel pump is a key part, don't go more than 160bhp, 10-12psi without. Also it maybe best to give the FPR a small squeeze in a vice to bump the fuel pressure up by 1-2psi. Just a fraction of a mm at a time and then retest the pressure, easy to make it run higher pressure but impossible to unsqueeze.

Bottom end goes pop on a T28 turbo somewhere in excess of 250bhp (some reports of OK to 300bhp), a T25 shouldn't do it any harm and barring operator gearchanging error, failing to give it clean oil etc unburstable on stock T2. Obey the redline, rods are thinner than CA18DET and unlike 16v DOHC, SOHC 8V rocker arms/shafts don't like it up them. Clutch will have fried and died by 220-240bhp too. You run out of fuel first as the 240cc/min injectors are a tad small, 200bhp is limit and going lean really does F**K the pistons very quickly.

[1] Dunno about new style ones (it's odd that they go close to 360° as they only have one stop) but I found the old small white face Gunsons fuel vacuum and pressure testers can be taken apart and it's then possible to move the needle round -5psi. Points at 10cm Hg vac when engine is off =0psi gauge, reads 30cm Hg vac on the stop at idle =20cm Hg and the 10psi mark is now 15psi. It's easy to learn to add 5 to the boost reading real quick and sod the vac. No engine can pull much more than -22cm Hg vac even on heavy high rpm overrun. You have to look inside at the geared quadrant to check it can go that much further without disengaging from the pinion of the pointer shaft.

My next trick was to move the needle on a BOC oxygen pressure gauge

0-30psi to read 15psi at atmospheric pressure. I now use -15 to get my boost reading.
Reply to
Peter Hill

cool shed loads of info on my shared bluebird shed :) can't wait to piss round with it hehe

Reply to
Vamp