MG Magnette and 1970's XJ6

A friend of mine has an MG Magnette to get rid of and an old 1970's XJ6 as he has lost interest in them. He was offered over £500 several times over for the plate on the MG, but for that it would need an MOT etc. Both are driveable-ish as far as I know, complete and in good nick. He lives in Royston. I know they should go onto Ebay, but as he cant be bothered, neither can I. He just wants them off his pathway. We have no idea how they should be priced, I personally thing the Jag is worth more but have no idea how to find that out. Like I say, he wants rid, but has had both for donkeys years thus would be happier and if they found a good home at a reasonable price. A couple of serious bargains are to be had. Please email me for photographs/his mobile number removing the obvious stuff from my addy.

Dribbler

Reply to
Dribbler

If they're in 'good nick' an MOT will be no problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What sort of Magnette is it? If a ZB Varitone I would be interested.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

At last I have managed to find more details of both cars;

The MG;

1964 1800 engine twin carb mowog engine 4 door

XJ6;

1974 long wheel base 4.2 engine engine and gear box good, drives well
Reply to
Dribbler

No chance - it will be a Farina, and rotten.

IMHO no one who keeps a couple of old cars on their drive hasn't a clue about their value. After all, PC publishes a guide.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It most certainly is NOT rotten. A couple of small dots around one of the headlights and that is all. And you humble opinion is wrong. Not everyone feels a need to keep an eye on the value of things. There are six cars on the drive at this time, all MOT'd and in regular use, only the XJ6 and the Magnette are no longer of interest. He simply got into more modern sporty type cars (Celica's are the current fad of all things, he owns two) and has lost interest in the classics. Love does strange things to some men......

Dribbler

Reply to
Dribbler

Suddenly you're an expert while stating you have no interest in old cars?

Then get them MOT'd and sell them if they're in such fantastic condition.

But I'm willing to bet the only reason this isn't done is because it's economically not viable. Both Farinas and XJ6s both rot in the most alarming fashion.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In my experience price guides are invariably optimistic when it comes to valuing project cars. There are far more projects out there than people prepared to take them on, it's a buyers market. Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

Yes. But these cars are described as being in 'good nick'. Which probably just means they haven't yet *quite* split down the middle. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Undeed, anyway, I would be more interested in the condition of the underside...

condition.

Yes, and in the most awkward places to repair (correctly)....

I suspect the OP is fishing for a sale or price tag, as if it's true that the next door 'neighbour' really just wanted rid of these cars doesn't PC magazine still have a 'Save a classic' page were people can advertise for free as long as the car is either free of below a certain price ?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::