Obit: LJKS (Guardian, 2005/09/19)

RIP LJKS. Obituary in the Guardian today:

Setright's writing may not have been to everyone's taste (any more that his taste in vehicles might have been), but his column was instrumental in getting me interested in old cars (and odd ones, and ones out of the mainstream). Hope the mice will no longer trip over his SC100GX.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

snipped-for-privacy@aber.ac.uk (Andrew Robert Breen) realised it was 19 Sep 2005

20:01:45 +0100 and decided it was time to write:

Setright drove an SC100GX? Well, that raises his esteem with me. Must remember to reread some of his columns.

Reply to
Yippee

:(

He had uncommon sense.

Alistair J Murray

My impression was that he didn't really know about the subjects he wrote on - but simply recycled maker's handouts, or those from those who did understand. But in a very readable way. An earlier 'Honest John'.

He wrote a very critical article about the number of people involved - crew wise - on a TV show he'd appeared in, and showed then his obvious lack of knowledge about that. I wrote to him explaining the functions of people on the crew and got the most weird reply. So concluded that he didn't have much in the way of original thought.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

: Setright's writing may not have been to everyone's taste...

I recommend that anyone interested read his piece on the Citroen DS : "The Mating of Hydra and Ulic", which I believe to be one of the worst pieces of writing ever perpetrated.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

In news:dgn1up$2a66$ snipped-for-privacy@central.aber.ac.uk, Andrew Robert Breen decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

LJKS, Phil Llewellin and George Bishop.

There'll be some silly conversations wherever they all are now.

RIP LJKS!

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And Russell Bulgin.

Reply to
Adrian

In news:Xns96DDBD90795D6adrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170, Adrian decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Indeed, I always liked Bulgins writing, the famous M5 from Germany story was a classic, as were the Testarossa to Blackpool and XR3i to Essex pieces. More like social studies than motoring journalism.

However, when he presented TG back in the 90's (for I think one episode), he did a test drive of the 200 SX and was, frankly, abysmal.

Reply to
Pete M

And, I have no doubt, good food and drink. I always /did/ enjoy Bishop's reviews of the food and drink at any new car launch.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen