Quick Classic for under a grand.

You would have been better using "you drive a Ford Explorer" at this point. that would have illlustrated your point much more forcefully.

:-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Errm, no company with a financial director this side of barking mad buys cars. They lease them. On lease terms a BMW 520 costs only a few quid more a month than a Mondeo TDCi (£350 for the Mondeo, £377 for the BMW).

I don't have any figures for Vauxhalls, they're *really* unpopular as lease cars at present so I assume this means depreciation is even more catastrophic than it is on the Mondeo.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Errr right Ok.

Does any of this mean that your average photocopier salesman gets a nice new

5 series to smoke around in ?

P.S. Regarding leasing - yep your right, most companies use leasing. However, I am curious as to where you can lease a 5 series doing realistic mileage - say 60,000 miles over three years, obviously fully serviced and with a relief vehicle like most contracts used in the real world - for 377 quid a month. Cheapest I know of for this type of use is more like 470-480 quid a monthon a 5 series. Mondeo TDCI ( your call) costs about 450-460 for a Ghia X. Which no-one with half a brain would chose anyway because leather aircon and wood aside, it's still a mondeo hence the huge depreciation. I know you could posibly see an attention grabbing advert in the back of whatcar for 370 or so quid but how relevant is it to our photocopier slesman thrapping up and down the motorway seeing as that deal probably allows half that mileage over the three years?

I'm going now.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

That you've not read 'How to Win Friends and Influence People'?

What prize do I win?

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Given that, for example, an E30 has pretty much the same weight distribution as a 75 (although this is attained using a different method to throwing the gearbox under the boot floor) I _really_ can't see what you're getting at here.

Erm, no it's not. I've read lots about how great it is that the weight distribution is so evenly balanced and have yet to find any conclusive articles that suggest they'll let go at both ends simultaneously.

You're obviously a hamfisted f****it with the controls, then. I've not even come close to losing the front end so far - and, yes, I do drive in a 'spirited' manner - I live in MK, so get _plenty_ of practise with my car.

Not at all. It's just a statement of the facts.

True. No chirp in the wet. But I can feel when the rear is breaking out and adjust the position of my right foot accordingly - _way_ before any drama from the front.

As I've said above - this is definitely not the case.... remember sliding a car isn't big or clever - it's just a sign you've overstepped the limits. Most drivers do this inadvertently. I have enough feeling in my arse / feet to know when this is happening and adjust my feet accordingly. It seems you don't have this skill.

*sigh*

Wheel out the old stereotypes, why don't you. To be honest, this is the most damning sign that you know absolutely f*ck-all about running an Italian car. I've not found any of mine to be either (i) unreliable or (ii) expensive to run. It's a myth brought about by people who believe everything they read in the press.

Reply to
SteveH

It's just Steve Firth spouting bollocks.

Yes, the weight distribution is a bit strange compared to a lot of mainstream family saloons. However, it's not unusual when compared to it's contemporary 'sports' saloons - BMW have been shouting about the

50/50 (or as near as makes no difference) weight distribution since the 1st 3-series was launched.

What makes a mid-engined car unique is the very light front end and the engine held within the wheelbase. It's this that makes them edgy.

Reply to
SteveH

Secondhand Nova[1]?

[1] Or cash equivalent - where do you want me to send the 10p to?
Reply to
Steve Firth

Where do I say that I have a problem with the handling of the car? I found out what the limits of the 75 are the way that one does with all cars - by approaching the limits a little at a time. I'm simply warning someone new to the car about the difference in handling compared to other RWD cars because if they're not aware it could catch them out.

Sometimes you can be *such* a k*****ad. This is one of those times.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The weight distribution. Admittedly it doesn't have the mass located within the wheelbase in the same way as a mid engined car (most of which tend to be slightly rear biased rather than 50:50) so it has a greater rotational moment of inertia than a mid engined car. It does't tend to spin like a mid engined car when pressed too hard. It will slide sideways fairly gracefully and you can recover if you have enough room.

But the *if* is a big one on a country lane.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Cheapskate.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

OK, OK, you don't have to rub it in 8-(

Guess who stuffed his 75 on a wet roundabout 8-(

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Nobody did, Steve H says it's impossible.

Reply to
Steve Firth
[snip]

Sounds like a fair description of a secondhand Nova.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I was describing your 'generous offer', but 'whatever'.

-- JackH - Who doesn't need to make up for having a terminally small penis by way of owning a large 4x4.

Reply to
JackH

Unless you're driving like a f****it.

Reply to
SteveH

Just ignore him...

-- JackH - Who wishes Ford continued to supply the Explorer with those dodgy Firestone tyres...

Reply to
JackH

I said don't rub it in ! 8-(

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'd ignore Steve H on this, he's so up his own bum on the subject of Alfas that he can't see beyond the end of his nose, let alone the bonnet. As I said elsehwere in this thread, he's plain wrong claiming that "driving like a f****it" is the only way that an Alfa 75 will let go of the road. It happens primarily because you're going too fast, but unlike most other RWD cars there's little warning of what "too fast" is. Particularly if you haven't routinely taken the car up to its limit over and over again to get the feel for it under a wide range of conditions.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, that was me.

Alright ! I was a { f****it } ! I stuffed my lovely black Alfa 75 V6 on a roundabout.

I've done my penance. I've even driven a Citroen for four years. Haven't I suffered enough ?

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I feel your pain, Brother...

(2 AX and 1 ZX is enough for anyone...)

No... you wanna buy yourself a nice Vectra V6 next, and get the clutch or alternator replaced.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH