Re: Mandatory insurance

I like the idea of third party only insurance with petrol, but they would just hike prices up to unaffordable levels, unless they took cash from the current supply. The more you drive, the more likely you are to have an accident. Of course your age and driving experience counts, but basic third party with petrol is done in some countries quite successfully. If you want fully comp, which most people do, then you'll still have to pay.

Reply to
Yozzi

Instead of a normal tax disk, or insurance?

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Gordon's memory.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

The difference this makes as far as most of us are concerned, is that if the insurance runs out before the tax runs out and you don't intend to renew it, then you have to SORN the car straight away rather than waiting until the tax expires. It's quite easy for tax and insurance and MOT to get out of sync.

Reply to
Richard Porter

The trouble is that some of us carefully do that so that there is a few months available for saving up before paying the bills. When I first bought my 2000, I started with a 6-month road tax (and have renewed it annually ever since) so that there is a half year gap between tax and insurance. Likewise, although both it and my PI are on the same insurance, they have staggered MOT dates so that I can use one to collect spares for the other if spares are needed.

It will be a nuisance if my best laid plans are undone by some parliamentary clown and his latest spiffing wheeze to justify his seat and his gold plated pension.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Good link.

Worth keeping.

Reply to
JNugent

Nice one. I was probably remembering the original 1988 Act amount and did not realise that a slightly more realistic figure had been substituted.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Christian McArdle" saying something like:

I'm surprised it was as low as 15grand up to so recently. I was under the impression from decades ago it was 25K or so and that was in 1974 or thereabouts. Perhaps that was just Scotland, though.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Hmm... £500,000, eh?

What can you safely get on that on deposit?

Say 3%?

£15,000 could buy you a lot of motor insurance. But for a fleet operator, well, maybe...
Reply to
JNugent

The message from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

I can recall the figure of £15000 from when I first learnt to drive (1961). I thought it was low then but I presume the idea is that if you had that sort of money to put on ice then you would have plenty more assets to finance a really big claim.

Reply to
Roger