Sprite gearbox stripdown

Last time I did this was 1972 so memory is a bit dimmed. It's a ribcase 1098 box and the only problem is removing the 1st motion shaft. Workshop manual (official BL one) says to drift out this assembly, but it seems locked onto the adjacent synchro cone which stops it going through the hole in the case.

3rd motion shaft came out the back OK. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Reply to
Les Rose

IIRC, the 3rd/4th synchro hub comes off with the 3rd motion shaft. Can't see why it would stick on the 1st, unless it's rusty. There's no locking mechanism - it simply slides over the dog teeth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

This rings a dim and distant bell. Can you get the 1st motion shaft out backwards? It probably means taking a circlip off the bearing, or even undoing the nut and knocking the shaft back out of the bearing if the worst comes to the worst.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R. N. Robinson

Yes, that's what ISTR. The box has been in store for 15 years but internals look perfectly preserved. I've tried gently drifting the shaft out of the synchro but they seem solidly attached. Can't try heat or it will ruin the hardening.

Reply to
Les Rose

Well, if the synchro hub doesn't slide, the gearbox is useless anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Sequence

1.Tap the lay shaft out the front which drops the cluster

  1. withdraw the third motion shaft out rearwards

  2. Insert a drift through the box and knock out the first motion shaft.

rm

R. N. Rob>

Reply to
me