110 Gearbox - still difficult changing

1990 110 CSW 2.5TD LT77 gearbox

Thanks for the recent suggestions.

I have now changed the oil (old oil was dirty no major "bits" in it) and it has made a minor difference, but third is still difficult to get in when changing up from second, but not too bad when coming down from third. Reverse is easier, first is sometimes still elusive!

There were other suggestions, however I am nervous about getting too far into the gearbox. So I got as far as taking the lever off last night then stopped!

If there are other possible problems further in, can you give me a bit more guidance about what to do. The Haynes manual says it's all too tricky and the LR manual leaps in with both feet.

I'd just like something between the two with a little handholding. For example, when I exposed the top of the remote gear change last night, two of the screws seemed to be locked using nuts and I was concerned that if Ijust removed them I would upset some key adjustment....

So if anyone has the time to give me a bit more detail (by separate e-mail if you wish) I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Well that's ruled out the cheap option! I suspect that you two unrelated problems, though it's pretty difficult to diagnose without being there......

The next cheapest option is that the detent springs/balls on the selector shaft have got gummed up, or perhaps the bias springs are broken/a bit tired - it could be that something has moved or come loose. Also check that the remote housing is not cracked (the ally casting that goes from the botom of th stick to the main box) - they have been known to split where the selector shaft goes through. You can get to all this stuff from the top - but just be careful not to drop anything! There's not really a whole lot of adjustment available, so you don't need to worry about that too much. I'd hazard a guess that it is going to turn out that the layshaft is moving about for some reason (does it "chatter" in neutral and foot off the clutch?), and that the

2nd/3rd synchro rings are worn (or the in/out spring(s) have come adrift), but checking all this stuff first is a very good idea!

That comment about the screws locked with nuts - do you have any more info on that?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd