Rear Wiper TD5 2001

Hi to all. The rear wiper on my TD5 started slowing down, then eventually packed in working. I've checked the fuse, that's ok. Now when I remove the switch to inspect it, I discover it's just not a straight poled switch. It {seems} to contain the relay board as well, is this correct. I need to know how/if I can check this before looking towards the motor. Any one any pointers please. And I guess if it's the switch ,it's gonna be mega bucks for genuine. d;-(( TIA Dave

Reply to
Dave Piggin

Disco I, Disco II or Defender TD5 2001?

On a Disco II very few (I'm tempted to say none) of the switches directly control the device they are for. There is a computer in the way and the switching is done with solid state relays built into the interior fuse box or real relays in the engine compartment fuse box. This means you don't need big meaty, expensive, switches. Simple, cheap, low voltage/current ones will do.

As it was a progessive fault I'd take the wiper motor assembly out and have look inside. SWMBO'd Fiesta rear wiper did just the same thing last year. Water was getting in down the shaft and there is no drain hole in the casing. It filled up started to rust, eventually enough insulating crude got onto the auto park contacts to stop it completly. Strip down dry, clean the worst of the nasty gunk out, regrease, drill small drain hole and it's been fine since.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mine has done this since new when the rear screen was dry but it's OK normally. Is this what you are seeing?

Bill

Reply to
bill

[...]

Thanks for the reply Dave. I was trying to avoid removing the motor by working backwards 'the easy bit', then progressing towards the motor assembly. As a last option I'll recheck the cableing to the motor just in case a wire has come off. What surprised me was the switch assembly and haveing no way to check via a meter if it'd working or not { continuity } I have the workshop manual so I'll re read it although it's not very descriptive. I hate the options of replaceing bits to acheive getting it to work again, sooner get to the source!! Dave

Reply to
Dave Piggin