To Stag or Not To Stag

Gee I haven't spoken about the Stags yet!

They are a good car just make sure they are checked and maintained on a regular basis. Any little thing fix it, don't say it'll be right.

Water problems are a thing to keep an eye, on make sure the temperature gauge is working and keeps on the correct temperature. If not investigate what's wrong, see if the water pump is leaking out the side of the block and make sure the radiator is not blocked.

Rob

I've owned a stag for about a year and a half now (Mimosa yellow, manual overdrive, Mk 1 1/2, tax-free!) It's never let me down, no issues at all, doesn't use any coolant and drives perfectly. Bodywork is pretty good, but it could do with a respray to make it perfect, and a new hood which I have but haven't had the time or knowledge to attempt to fit. Mine runs just under half on the temp gauge regardless of outside air temp or load or speed. I've removed the original stromberg carbs and replaced them with SU carbs but retained the original air filter and elbows - so much better. It had a new stainless system when I bought it and I've stripped back the whole of the floorpan and underside, treated the metal then primed and chassis-black, then non-setting waxoyl underseal on all seams and vulnerable areas including the inner arches. Now that was a messy job!! I've been toying with the idea of selling it, but at the moment I'm undecided. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

:-) Well it's unusual at least :-) My parents used to have the normal Visa and that was odd enough.

I seem to remember it claimed very good fuel consumption figures which it achieved (at least in part) by being very tall geared for motorway journeys. The problem was that they'd kinda fitted five-speed ratios to a four speed box: effectively 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th - thrash the car in 2nd gear, then change to "third" and find the revs far too low - a nightmare when pulling onto crowded motorways...

Mark

Reply to
Mark Wheadon

Welcome to the club :-) May you have as much fun with it as we've had (and are still having) with ours.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Wheadon

There is a gap, granted. Never had it die when changing up, though. And it is nice to be able to grab third for overtaking at 60-70.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate adrian snipped-for-privacy@postmaster.co.uk, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

I do hope you weren't referring to me with the bloke in pub comment!

Well, have fun with it. Don't forget to put Rimmer Bros on your speed-dial.

No problem.

Reply to
Pete M

The water pump isn't in the conventional place - it's on top of the block.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I *think* he meant the side of the pump housing, that's what I took it as, anyway. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I think you are being a tad pedantic there Dave, now if we had been talking about the Imp engine....

Reply to
:Jerry:

So where does it leak from?

Reply to
Rob

No

Reply to
Rob

Out of the *top* of the block perhaps?!...

Pump V _O_ _O_

Reply to
:Jerry:

Yup. Citroen Visa Decapotable - a 4-door convertable (although retaining the door frames) based on the Citroen Visa and using (IIRC) the

1100-odd cc Peugoet engine.

A nice car, by all accounts, but I'm told they rust.

Wonder how many Talbot Samba cabrios are left...

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Andrew Robert Breen ( snipped-for-privacy@aber.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed, the 1124 tappet-rattler. Shame they never put either of the desirable engines - the 1600 GTi or the 652 two-pot in the Decap. I s'pose a two-pot Wheezer decap would just be too close to being a 2cv-wannabe.

Too many?

Reply to
Adrian

The whole car was a Peugeot 104 bar the external panel-work, it was an insult to call it a Citroen!

Reply to
:Jerry:

:Jerry: ( snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.INVALID) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Then there was the LNA...

...Saxo, Synergie, C8, all the recent vans... and let's not even go NEAR the C-Crosser...

Reply to
Adrian

A bit more than the external panel-work, but I think it was the first shared platform (excluding the LN/LNA, which was just rebadged) and indeed much decried because of that.

It has a sight more Citroen character than a Saxo or a Xsara, though.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Pug 104 platform, pretty much, except for the 650 which was different ahead of the front bulkhead (slightly longer wheelbase, for one thing). What was distinctively Cit was the suspension settings - which were much more comfortable than the contemporary Pugs - and (in the 650 at least) steering geometry. The 650 had much nicer steering than any strutted supermini had any right to..

Yes, but to be fair so would a fungal infection... :(

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Anywhere it feels like. ;-) I just wanted to help anyone who didn't know the engine find the pump as it should certainly be checked for leaks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)