Stag fuel leak

Hi I've just filled the tank up on my Triumph Stag, I filled it pretty much to the brim. I noticed quite a bad leak coming from underneath the tank before I drove off and this was a drip every second. After I'd left it for half an hour the leak had stopped and it's now bone dry???? The only explanation I can think of is that there is a small hole on the underneath of the tank but maybe once the fuel cap is closed a vacuum develops and it stops leaking??

Thanks to any replies

Jon

Reply to
jayseeblue

Sounds more like a leak in the filler neck or breather - stops once the level falls below the leak.

(I have no experience of Stags. I have lots of experience of f***ing fuel leaks.)

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Do you mean underneath the car? I thought the Stag's tank was completely inside the boot. Or is the underside open to the elements? I'll have a look this evening as I have one I'm breaking for spares.

Ian's suggestion of the filler neck or breather seems most likely to me too. I'm just puzzled at to where you're actually seeing the drips.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

How empty was it? Had it been empty for a while? Could the cork gasket under the fuel gauge sender have dried out?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Hi this is possible as I'd run it very low and just left it to stand for a few days. The other possibility - the breather is also as I did fill it well. It was coming from underneath the car I think the fuel tank isn't open to the elements. Well it's OK now so thanks everyone for the replies!

Thanks

Jon

Reply to
jayseeblue

Just don't brim it next time, then. Whatever it was, it's unlikely to have healed.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

I had a look at mine and there's only one place I can see that would allow fuel to drip to the outside instead of into the boot (which would stink of petrol before any found it's way onto the road). Immediately inside the filler, there's a drain hole. It's on the outside of the filler neck so shouldn't normally see any fuel. The filler neck itself is closed off by the cap's seal, but if the seal's not doing its job, fuel could slosh out and drip through that drain hole.

But if it happened before you left the petrol station, it's more likely that you split a little fuel inside the fuel filler, i.e. not directly into the neck itself. You'd expect it all to drain out immediately, but if the tube running from that drain hole is slightly blocked, it could have slowed it to the drip per second that you saw.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke