Triumph TR7 & Top Gear

I always say my TR7 is pig to drive but do we need to argue over which animal? The all round visibility is crap thanks to the seating position being far enough back from the dash and screen to satisfy prospective US regulations of the early 70's, the same regs that said all convertibles would be banned. I avoid taking mine in town traffic where ever possible; you would need an array of mirrors like a Mod's scooter to see properly. But out in the sticks (which is the way I go to work) it's a different story. Of course it handles badly in standard form but isn't that the attraction? My Omega diesel estate is probably quicker on top end and certainly handles better, but however hard I drove it, it would never be as much fun as the TR. The actual driving position is excellent. You can't have vanity AND a TR7; the two just don't mix. As for the V8, it was designed for the V8 and the US market, like most British "sportscars". Only the oil crisis of the early 70's meant it wasn't PC for us to be using too much fuel to be having fun in our cars, so they sawed a bit off the Stag engine and shoved that in for us to potter around with.

It's good, cheap fun (with a V8) but you would look a pratt polishing it at a show; the MGB next door will always look better.

Now I am disappointed that so many of you watch that awful Drop Gear on telly. Is it true that to be in the audience you have to be from Essex, own a Subaru Impeza and be called Dave? Even the women are called Dave. If there was even a hint of a TR7 on there we should all be celebrating that something remotely like a classic made it through the door. Is it still presented by Jeremy I-only-work-with-dweebs-who-are-there-to-make-me-look-clever-and-by-the-way- my-opinion-is-law Clarkson?:-)

Pete W

Reply to
Pete W

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Thirded!

How many "motoring" programmes have been on air since TG first appeared?

How many have you watched religiously, or at least set the video for?

Think about it, there have been so many programmes after the TG title and there have been none that have come close, barring 5th gear which is the old TG just on Ch5 instead.

"Driven" - total crap, Penny Bloody Mallory on about how safe a Focus is compared to a Golf. Sorry, not interesting. Trivial. Boring. Crap. Half an hour of serious "consumer" issues on a motoring programme? No Thanks.. Jeremy, Quentin or James May could make such things interesting and amusing.. Some tart who rallied a Sierra a couple of times?? No thanks. If I want to see women giving a car a bit of stick, I'll watch Vicki on 5th gear. If I want to be patronised about which car has the biggest glovebox, or the most airbags, I'll buy What Car - or whatever it's called

"Deals on Wheels" - Mike "Geezer" Brewer on a mission to help people get decent money for their motors. Occasionally informative, but Quentin Willson could have done the whole series in 5 minutes, and it would have been fun.

That programme where Brewer bought and sold a few things and ended up with enough dosh to buy a new car. Wasn't bad, but still, TG would have got all the information across in a programme. Not a series. Pretty much guaranteed that if TG had pulled the same stunt, it wouldn't have been an MG ZS? at the end of it. They'd have started with a Lada Samara and ended up with at least a Merc E55 AMG, but they won't. Might of in the days of Quentin, but not in the Jeremy era.

I'm a fan of TG, but I need to supplement it with a dose of Fifth Gear..

Reply to
Pete M

I sold my TR6 to buy a TR7 and have never regretted the move. The TR7 steering is light and accurate compared to TR6, and living in NZ with lots of mountain roads, this is very important.

Reply to
Neil Raines

Well if he wasn't biased, the show would end up like .... fifth gear. Yawn. He still chose the holden over the jag tho.

Reply to
jeremy

In news:cmq612$tfi$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk, Pete W decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

fun to watch though, and it gets people interested in cars.

Indeed. Personally I'd go for a TVR though. Even if they're Malaysian or something now.

That was brilliant. Coltranes Planes and Automobiles or something wasn't it? Where he took apart the Trabbie?

Reply to
Pete M

They're shit, though, aren't they?

Reply to
Ben Blaney

Russian. Last week, I had dinner with the guy who arranged the financing of the deal.

Reply to
Ben Blaney

That was a great little series - sadly no longer available on VHS or DVD - unless someone knows otherwise. He did another series called (I think) Coltrane by Cadillac - basically a USA coast-to-coast travelogue, after having sought and purchased a 50s caddy.

Reply to
DocDelete

Morgans are full of cutting edge technology, brilliant feats of engineering. Just nobody's updated them since about the thirties ;)

Reply to
jeremy

lol

Reply to
Ben Blaney

Probably an odd episode of "The Car's the Star".

Your synopsis of the other shows was good, but how about a bunch of idiots power sliding megabuck supercars around an airfield? It's only one step away from GTi's doing burnouts on an Asda carpark. And when they get a bit short of material they go for the lowest trump card they can find, and smash up a caravan. Whoopee.

5th gear's best British car. Somebody forgot to tell them that in Britain, Morgan make something called an Aero 8 and it takes ages. And a lot of craftsmen and technology go into screwing it all together so it should at least get a mention in the GT section.

Seriously though, wouldn't a programme along the lines of the one who's name escapes me, hosted by Robbie Coltrane be a goer?

Pete W

Reply to
Pete W

jeremy realised it was Tue, 09 Nov 2004 14:01:34

+0000 and decided it was time to write:

The Aero 8 isn't a Morgan then.

I saw one with its clothes off at the 2002 NEC Sportscar show. Very impressive it was, too, with a nicely engineered all-aluminium chassis and a highly modern BMW V8. I very much wanted to adopt it there and then and take it home with me, but they said it was to go back onto the production line the following week to be part of a car for a customer.

Reply to
Yippee

can't believe it... have they finally started to move on from the four four, +4, +8 cars, or whatever they were called. I was waiting for some morgan enthusiast to get all riled up over my last comment, but it all seems pretty well restrained.

Reply to
jeremy

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, jeremy decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Heh, that's cos they're all crying into their real ale at the local CAMRA meeting.

"A Morgan without a wooden chassis? Heretics!"

Reply to
Pete M

Oh but they have, big time. The Aero 8 uses state of the art materials and fixings etc. and a proper suspension system. It's developed from the race track so it won't be shit as such but a question of taste; either you like it or you don't. It's worth a free trip around the factory if you are ever down Malvern way even if like me, you will never own one. You have to book though, see their website.

Pete W

Reply to
Pete W

I meant what I said!

Reply to
Ben Blaney

It's nothing to worry about too much. still got a wooden frame, but the chassis has been changed from steel to aluminium.

Reply to
jeremy

It isn't much of anything. Even the people who build it call it Clarence the Cross-eyed Lion.

Reply to
Steve Firth

%steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) realised it was Wed, 10 Nov 2004

15:02:33 +0000 and decided it was time to write:

Heh. I remember talking to a Morgan aficionado at the annual classic car do on our local race track. He mentioned with disgust the fact that the headlights on the Aero 8 are actually upturned 'New Beetle' items. I almost felt his pain.

Reply to
Yippee

[lots snipped]

Does anyone remember the early Professionals episodes where Doyle drives a TR7? I'm put off by seeing his emergency stop (well, pull up to a house) and the suspension return almost flinging the car backwards. Didn't look very cool...

On the TG front - as light hearted entertainment I think it's great. It's a shame Quentin Wilson is no longer on it though. 5th Gear is dumb and stuck on the format the BBC wisely decided to axe pre-this-latest-format TG when normal people got sick of seeing Tiff and VBH wheel spinning expensive cars and having a great laugh...

B.t.w. you can go and be in the audience of Top Gear for free - I've been twice and it's a fab day out (it's filmed near Guildford) - there's a link from the TG website I think.

JH

'67 Daimler V8 '79 Ford Capri 3.0S

Reply to
Jonathan Halsall