Tyres

I am having trouble locating tyres for my PI. I can find Michelin XASs the right size, but the set on the car at the moment are BFGoodrich Momenta S/E

185/80R13 and I would rather stick with the same brand if I can. I tried e-mailing Goodrich, but the Contact Us page on their website just returns an error.

Does anyone now whether these tyres are still obtainable, and where I might get them?

(And no, I don't want to replace the wheels so that I can fit /70 tyres!)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

They seem a strange size for the car normally I've seen 185/70

I always ran 185/70 -13 on the 5 1/2" J rims (nominal size 175/70 -13) (not sure what width the PI rims are)

Reply to
Rob

185/80 are the original size for the car, and the right size for the original steel wheels, which I am still using. A lot of owners do settle for 185/70 because they are readily available whereas (as I have found) 185/80 are not. But if you use 185/70 x 13 tyres, then the rolling radius is smaller, and either the speedometer reads a bit higher than the real road speed (which is safe enough past speed cameras), or you have to get the speedometer recalibrated. 185/70 on 14 inch wheels maintain the original rolling radius, but then I wouldn't have the original wheels any more.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

I'd go for the 185/70 option. There's no choice at all on the online vendors but pages of 185/70's. Just ordered a set of Conti Eco 3's in

185/70 for the Capper.
Reply to
Conor

Longstone have Michelins and Avons according to their website but they're bloody dear.

Reply to
Doki

The XAS is a very good tyre in my experience, but that is limited to Peugeots which they suited very well. Mind you that was in the days when Peugeot made cars whose ride and handling was second to none among quantity-produced cars and a lot better than some of the more exclusive stuff. I would be inclined to give them a whirl, but you'll need the whole set (fitted the right way round - they're asymmetric). The downside of course is that if you don't like them you're stuck with them for quite a while.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

I've just put a set of Colway remoulds on the SD1 and am very pleased with them. Plenty of grip wet or dry, quiet and comfortable. Needed more balancing than most but that's all. And a very good price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep I had to go for 175/75 -14 on the MG as the 165 -14 were twice the price and not readily available.

Reply to
Rob

Thanks for the tip, but I cant find any evidence that Colway make anything my size.

However, I have found someone who stocks Aurora tyres. Has anybody any experience of these? I am a little nervous of ordering a brand I have never heard of.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren