What to do with a car still on the old-style logbook?

Hi,

A friend of mine has recently found two old Morris Minors (1956 and

1958) in a barn. Unfortunately, the owner has passed away, and his wife has no idea if the cars are registered with the DVLA... However, she has located both cars original card logbooks - does anyone know how we can contact the DVLA to see if the vehicles are listed on the computerised record? If they are, then applying for a V5 would be ok. If they aren't then it's slightly more complicated.

It would be nice since both the cars have their original registration marks, we don't really care if they're non-transferrable, just don't really want to end up with age-related crap! :-P

Has anyone done this before? Just to summarise, both the cars have their original logbooks, we just have no idea if they are on the DVLA's system or not.

Thanks!

Reply to
Howard Rose

it should not be a problem at all. you can check whether the number is listed on the my rac website vehicle data check.

Reply to
mrcheerful

They're not, but that doesn't mean to say the cars aren't registered with the DVLA! My 1964 Mini isn't on the RAC site (been off the road since 1990), but I have a vaild V5 registration document :-)

I'm just trying to find if the cars were "computerised" or not before the 30th November 1983 deadline.

Reply to
Howard Rose

well some of my motorbikes wern't on the system, the were ok to get back on with the old number

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from Howard Rose contains these words:

If you have a real logbook then I would think that they aren't registered. If they were you would have a V5.

Reply to
roger

You're probably right, but IIRC owners at the time, were given the option to have the original logbook returned, along with the later V5. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

That's true, but unlike the logbook for my Mini, these aren't stamped "cancelled"...

The DVLA don't seem to be any help, I phoned them on Friday. I gave up after an hour... he he

Reply to
Howard Rose

Try writing to them. They are after all the only people who know whether the things are still on their computer and they are going to have to tell you sooner or later. Phoning is usually a waste of time in these cases because you are very unlikely to find anyone who knows what they are talking about, but letters tend to get passed around until they find somebody who can give you an answer. I just hope you are not in a hurry.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

I've usually found them quite helpful in telling me whether or not a car is registered - any further information on a car you don't own is like getting blood out of a stone. A handy trick, if you get stuck in an automated telephone system "Press 1 for optionx" etc, hit "0" repeatedly and you will soon be speaking to a human being. As a rule, DVLA will accept an original RF60 logbook or pre 1977 (or is it

1983?) logbook as sufficient proof to re-issue a vehicle's original number. The process may be complicated by the need to get the car roadworthy before the number will be issued, but I am uncertain having heard conflicting reports. Cheers, Bill.
Reply to
Bill Davies

email them snipped-for-privacy@gtnet.gov.uk I found them both helpful and rapid in their responses to a SORN issue I had - resolved to my satisfaction with no SORN to do or fine to pay :-)

If that were the case the returned log books would probably have overstamped 'cancelled'. Most clubs are recognised by the DVLA as being able to authenticate legitimate vehicles and their registration. (The club would make a charge for this and it varies between clubs.) I would suggest that your friend contact the Morris Club. Normally there is a lesser charge for members so it would be advantageous to join! Peter C.

Reply to
cornelp