93 Vette Door Fob

I just bought a 1993. They have a feature that automatically locks the door when the key fob gets over six feet from the car and unlocks the doors when you approach the car. Cool. My key fob is broken. Not the battery, I went to the Chevy dealer and they checked. The cost for a new fob is $180.00. ! ! My question is; Has anyone used this feature? If you have, do you like it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

Reply to
Mike Cenni

Not entirely sure why, but I always found it a PITA and I just use the keys. But then, this is not my daily driver.

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Reply to
CardsFan

Check around, they are available for about $50. I disabled it on the my '92 and the '98, GM took it off for awhile. I've gotten used to it on the C6 but that's an entirely different system and I'm stuck with it. Since your fob is broken it may be because the previous owner didn't like it either.

Might try

or
the part number and look on ebay.

Reply to
Dad

Check on E-bay. They're cheaper than the dealership and can be reprogrammed.

Rob

Reply to
Scubabix

Mike,

I just picked up a 99 last week and thought I had the same/similar problem. Replaced the battery with no change. Read online about 're-syncing' the fob by depressing 'lock' and 'unlock' for seven seconds while standing next to the car. Now works fine. My understanding is that they can also per reprogrammed using the owner's manual, if that's the issue.

My problem now is that the passenger side doorlock doesn't unlock. I can hear some kind of actuator when I hit unlock on the fob and/or door button, but door only unlocks about 1 in 10 times. I'm thinking it's something mechanical in the door. Any suggestions? Thanks, Steve

ps I used the passive lock/unlock for about 2 days and turned it off. The hook where I hang my keys is just inside the garage-house door and everytime I open the door the car unlocks. Close the door and car locks.

Reply to
enilc

Mike.......Have it for my '94 coupe. Works great!! However, at car shows or getting gas (when I am walking around the car a lot) I use the regular key.

Reply to
dapper94

I have it on my 93... I love it. It works very well. You may need to enable the feature on the car, and maybe register the key fob with the cars computer (you can register 3 different fobs). The instructions are in the drivers manual.

The main problem I have with it, is that when I drive a different car I keep forgetting to lock it! People are sometimes surprised when they hear the car unlock when I just walk up to it and they can see I don't have anything in my hands. I have a couple of friends that are amused when I walk by the car and it unlocks and then re-locks (you can not only hear the doors unlock and lock, but it honks the horn to indicate the alarm is armed.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Willson

Is there a way to completely disable the alarm? I have a '95 coupe, and at some inconvenient times (like getting gas, while there's someone still sitting in the passenger seat), it decides to start honking after I've filled up and put the key back in the ignition.

The only way to get it to stop honking sometimes is to have both of us get out, shut the doors, move away from the car (with the FOB), and let it quit. Then let the car sense the FOB, get in, and start the car and go.

I'd rather put up with the chance of it getting stolen than having to deal with this stupid "alarm" system. If I wanted an alarm, I'd go have a "real alarm system" installed - not just some horn-honker.

LJ

Dennis Wills> > I just bought a 1993. They have a feature that automatically locks the door

Reply to
larryj

you can stop the honking by inserting the driver's door key and turning it.

you can find instructions for disabling the fob in your owners manual.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Should never have two key fobs in the vicinity of the car at any time..It confuses the heck out of the computer.Read the manual.. just dump the fobs and use a key for the door...you do remember door keys don't you...???

Disable the fob..just throw it away..!!!!!!!!!!!! ( or sell it on ebay like everyone else does )

Reply to
grayfox