Keyless Entry for 96 Coupe?

I am having to replace the key fob for my 96. When I program the new one, am I programming the car or the fob? I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to keep the old one that functions, but is pretty beaten up as an emergency back-up. Rob

Reply to
Scubabix

  1. The car.
  2. Keep it.
  3. Some of the GM body/security modules would accept up to four fobs. Before you pull the ignition key (at the end of the programming sequence), you might try programming the second fob.
Reply to
PJ

Thanks, sometimes I wish for the simple days of just using a key. :) Rob

Reply to
Scubabix

Call me a philistine, but that's what I do. The PKE bugged me, so I use the keys only.

AJM

Reply to
CardsFan

After spending $175 for a new one, I'll use the PKE for a while. If I break another one, I'll use the keys. The only reason I use it regularly is that I frequently have my hands full with a computer bag, camera bag and whatever else and not having to dig for the keys is handy. Rob

Reply to
Scubabix