OT: Any Computer Weenies in here?

Only 1/2 as dumb as what I've got. For a new laptop, burned off the Windows backup disk to DVD per instructions then checked how it works -- instruction one, "use the boot floppy....

No floppy drive on this bear. No socket for a floppy adapter. No provision to make a bootable CD.

Redid the effort, this time to CD's figuring I'd get a bootable CD out of that effort. SOS ... "use the boot floppy....

Mickey-soft ain't cuttin' it. This has turned into the most amateurish outfit going. Of course, I could be wrong -- it might be an HP problem.

Reply to
PJ

Bob I

Reply to
Bob I

Yeah - that was me and my stupid obsessive-compulsive issues with cleaning my hard drive every 17 seconds; but MS really should have made a Beta3 that just overlays Beta2 and does not require an uninstall first.

Yes - he is quitting day-to-day stuff to spend more time managing the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. On top of the already $30 billion in cash they hold for giving to not-for-profit organizations; Bill's bridge and golf friend Warren Buffet is going to feed that foundation over $30 billion more dollars. Even if Bill and Melinda never feed another penny to the foundation (though they feed it a few billion every year at a minimum); they still are required by the US Government to give a pretty substantial chunk of change away each year. That is going to be Bill's new focus. He has a target list of 20 diseases that he would like to see erradicated in our lifetime. I have great respect for how he turned into the greatest philanthropist in the history of the world; and I am rooting for him to actually get those diseases erradicated. I believe AIDS is on that list; and I also believe breast cancer is as well.

Reply to
Anon

I had a problem somewhat like that doing an XP Pro re-install for my daughter's Stinkpad T43 the other day. I had to go into the BIOS and change the boot order to DVD, CD, Hard Drive (in that order). Dunno why if it had the default of CD it would see something unreadable was in the drive and never try and use the DVD drivers.

Reply to
Anon

---snip some---

hell, I am retired and now consider myself a "not-for-profit organization". good-buddy bill could send a little this way :-)

my2¢

Reply to
'Key