P275/40ZR18

I have a screw in my Goodyear P275/40ZR18 and it leaks slowly. Can I get it plugged or am I 'screwed"?

Reply to
Roscoe

Plug it, and patch it on the inside and forget it. The reason they do both is so it cuts down water/dirt separating the plies in the hole, the patch is to hold the air and backup the plug. There are also some special plug/patches out there that have a head on them like the inside patch. Then again if you're racing it all bets are off. My right rear has a plug in it that has worked well for 2 years, non runflat rain tire.

Reply to
Dad

Reply to
Roscoe

Don't do this if the screw is anywhere near the sidewall. I did this and it all came apart in the fast lane with the slow lane nose to tail. A bit embarrassing. Plugging inside the tread pattern has worked OK on many occasions.

George.

Reply to
George

I think this says about the same thing as my tire guy. For runflats he only plugs in the mid-2/3 of the treadwidth.

Check out the table at the bottom of page, on:

If you limit speed to where you can maintain control and get it stopped before disintegration tears up bodywork then it doesn't matter.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

Limit speed? You're no fun at all.