Wax or what???

I just got back from visiting my brother who has a Lotus 7 Kit car with a fiberglass body. Instead of car wax, he suggested I try a product originally designed, I think, for fiberglass boats and fiberglass above ground pools - called aerospace 303. He said it cut through normal road grime easily, restored the deep burgundy red color in his car's body, and dust seemed to blow off after use. Does anyone else here use it or something similar? It seems to make sense that something designed for fiberglass might be better than "normal" autobody products, but am unsure. Any thoughts on whether it could hurt my sebring silver finish?? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
m-halverson

---snip---

cut the html when on usenet.

Reply to
'Key

Your last 2 sentences say it all. First off you're not treating fiberglass. You are treating the finish, paint. I've not used the product your talking about but if it worked on his kit car "paint" it will most probably work on other painted surfaces. Try a spot that would not be objectionable if it was a total disaster and let us know how it works out. Don't think there should be a problem from what you indicate.

Reply to
Dad

Here is what the majority of classic car folks are using :

. I havent found anything thats more durable as well as shiny.

Reply to
dave

If 303 Aerospace Protectant is what you are reffering to, it is for vinyls, plastics and fiberglass gelcoats, not paint.

I just got back from visiting my brother who has a Lotus 7 Kit car with a fiberglass body. Instead of car wax, he suggested I try a product originally designed, I think, for fiberglass boats and fiberglass above ground pools - called aerospace 303. He said it cut through normal road grime easily, restored the deep burgundy red color in his car's body, and dust seemed to blow off after use. Does anyone else here use it or something similar? It seems to make sense that something designed for fiberglass might be better than "normal" autobody products, but am unsure. Any thoughts on whether it could hurt my sebring silver finish?? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Marty

A testamonial from the 303 Products site. -- --

303 Aerospace Protectant Long Lasting Shine on Truck Hood "I am writing to you about the use of 303 Protectant which I started to use 2 years ago when my boat dealer told me about it. The reason for this letter is to let you know that I experimented with it on the hood of my 1984 Dodge truck. You may already know it can be safely used on painted surfaces. Two years ago I put a coat on the top of the front fender which is also part of the hood. Next to this I waxed with a well known liquid wax. In the past two years I have done nothing else to these areas but to observe that the wax was long gone when the 303 area still showed a difference from the rest of the hood! This morning I washed the truck and decided to write to you as after two years of out in the weather, the treated area still shows some shine. D. Doane

I just got back from visiting my brother who has a Lotus 7 Kit car with a fiberglass body. Instead of car wax, he suggested I try a product originally designed, I think, for fiberglass boats and fiberglass above ground pools - called aerospace 303. He said it cut through normal road grime easily, restored the deep burgundy red color in his car's body, and dust seemed to blow off after use. Does anyone else here use it or something similar? It seems to make sense that something designed for fiberglass might be better than "normal" autobody products, but am unsure. Any thoughts on whether it could hurt my sebring silver finish?? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dad

========== Marty, cut the html. this is a plain text group.

just a heads up...

Reply to
'Key

Sorry, Thought I had it set to plain text. I think I got it to plain text now, gotta love OE.

Marty

Marty

There you have it! I just knew Dodge was using vinyl shelf paper instead of paint!

;-))

Seriously tho, it sounds like good stuff.

Marty

Reply to
Marty

no need to apoligise. it was just a "heads up"

yea ya do.

g'day to ya Marty

Reply to
'Key

I'm still a little skeptical also, one 1984 Dodge truck does not a case make. Still interesting though.

Dad

Reply to
Dad

Yea, The mfr.doesn't recommend or warn against using on paint so your advice to "test on a a hidden spot" would be most prudent. I much prefer someone else be the guinee pig

Marty

Reply to
Marty