1996 dodge intrepid 3.5 ltr with auto stick

please please help me my brother passed away and my mother aquired his 1996 dodge intrepid with a 3.5 ltr motor the car ran great for two years and then two weeks ago it lost reverse and was stuck in second gear me and my brothers are very mechanicly inclined and we put a trans in the car we were all done drove the car for about 30 minutes took it home and parked it it still had the same problem stuck in second gear but we did have reverse thinking we bought a bad trannny we took the old one out again and yesterday put a third one in low and behold drove the car for about a half hour shifted perfect threw all gear then all of a sudden it was stuck in second gear again we cant figgure it out we thought the computer was bad so we tried that same thing somebody told me the computer might need to be programmed dont know please help me my mother is heart broken over this she truely loves this car i keep thinking that the tranny computer harness might be bad but i really dont know any help will be greatly appreciated thanks you

Reply to
imohrs

"" wrote: > please please help me my brother passed away and my mother > aquired his 1996 > dodge intrepid with a 3.5 ltr motor the car ran great for two > years and > then two weeks ago it lost reverse and was stuck in second > gear me and my > brothers are very mechanicly inclined and we put a trans in > the car we > were all done drove the car for about 30 minutes took it home > and parked > it it still had the same problem stuck in second gear but we > did have > reverse thinking we bought a bad trannny we took the old one > out again and > yesterday put a third one in low and behold drove the car for > about a half > hour shifted perfect threw all gear then all of a sudden it > was stuck in > second gear again we cant figgure it out we thought the > computer was bad > so we tried that same thing somebody told me the computer > might need to be > programmed dont know please help me my mother is heart broken > over this she > truely loves this car i keep thinking that the tranny computer > harness > might be bad but i really dont know any help will be greatly > appreciated > thanks you

Sorry to hear about your brother imohrs.These trannys shift using a computer if you went through 2 already I would say the computer is bad.First check all your fuses then try disconnecting the battery for

5 mins.,reconnect then drive.If it shifts good for a short time then goes back to actting up then you have a computer problem I would say.

Also make sure the big square plug on the trans. is locked down snug and no dirt has fallin down into the terminals.

Reply to
Shakes73