Brakes squeal!!!!

Dan wrote:

Very good. There never were any for the rears.

Actually it is the internal "O" ring that pulls the piston back, not the outer boot on most calipers.

--------------44F280FF6D8AFEEE7CBDA4AD Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
thats not what chrysler taught me the oring seals the caliper
snipped-for-privacy@sny.der.on.ca wrote:

--------------44F280FF6D8AFEEE7CBDA4AD Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html>
--------------44F280FF6D8AFEEE7CBDA4AD--

Yes, the "O" ring seals the caliper, but it also "bends" a but as the piston slides though - and when the pressure is released, the "O" ring straightens back out, pulling the piston back in just a smidge. This gives the clearance. Take a good look at the boot, flex it around - then try to push the piston back with your fingers. Note how little resistance the boot gives to being deformed - and how much force it takes to move the piston. Absolutely no way the boot could handle pulling the caliper back.
Your instructor at Chryaler only taught you half of the story.
I've taught it too - and I've tried to get the whole story told.

Site Timeline