help with overhead console install

I have a 96 grand caravan and it did not come with an overhead console but I would like to install one. I went ahead and bought one off ebay and realize that I need a receiving bracket or something else to install it into my van [which only have the two overhead lights.]

Does this console have another piece that goes with it?

I know I have to do some cutting, I want to know if its possible to instal this unit before I cut anything....................HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Maxpower this ones for you! LOL

Reply to
pchotspot

You're in for a lot, I mean a lot, of work ... and expense. Here's what you'll need to make that overhead console fit and work properly:

1) A matching headliner (the one in your van now will not properly fit your console, and cannot be made to do so). Compare a van with an overhead console with one that didn't come with one and the differences will be quite apparent. If you have rear air, you'll need a matching headliner for that too. 2) You didn't say, but if your console has a trip computer, you'll need the proper wiring harness for the trip computer, which your van does not have. (Get a factory shop manual, and you may be able to run individual wires.) 3) The correct bracket(s) needed to mount your console to the roof.

4) If your console has a trip computer, you'll also need the correct ambient temperature sensor and wiring harness. This sensor sits below and in front of the radiator on the crossmember.

I've successfully put a '99 overhead console with trip computer and built-in garage door opener in a '97 Grand Voyager SE, BUT the '97 already had an overhead console without trip computer. However, it did have the factory-installed wiring harness. Even then, I had to change the wiring harness of the '97 to match the connector for the '99 console, which was different, and buy an ambient temperature sensor.

I've looked at doing the same thing with my '98 Plymouth Grand Voyager Expresso, which didn't come with an overhead console. After toting up the hours and dollars that would be needed to find all the parts in a junkyard (if I could be lucky enough to find a headliner for an extended wheelbase Grand with overhead console but without rear A/C vents), I decided I could live without a console in the '98.

Good luck!

Reply to
Jim Scott

I did this with a '98 Caravan Sport, but only after determining it had the trip computer data bus harness taped back in the overhead. Even so, it was not purely "plug and play", requiring the use of D-Sub jumpers.

Reply to
RWM

o.kkkkk! THAT's THAT! I will just have to put this console back on ebay. The van is not that great to go thru all the trouble.

Thank you for your detailed response, but man that seems like a lot of work and expense. I did not intend to go that far with it. So the project is cancelled.

AGAIN THANK YOU!

Jim Scott wrote:

Reply to
pchotspot