Looking for OBD I+II Scan code reader recommendation

I am considering getting a scan code reader. I have a 94' Caravan (OBD 1) and a 2001 Honda CRV (OBD 2) so I would like a scan code reader that can do both. I do not want to spend more than $200 unless it is really worth the extra money. My 94' Caravan is runs a little rough at times and has lost power especial during slow accelerations, however, if I "step on the gas" it responds fine. The "check light" has come one few times, but goes way when I restart the engine.

Considering an AutoXray2000 and would like to get peoples experiences with it, or recommendations for another.

I would really like to get a unit that can display multiple sensor status' in real-time, but these unit all seem to be in the $400 range.

Reply to
Stephen Gertsch

check codes with the key yet?

Reply to
rob

I don't think the key trick works on later models. All I can get is a light check out of if. My older vehicles work that way but no the later ones.

Reply to
Abby Normal

works just fine on my 94 Concorde...........but there's different codes in the scanner than in the key. try the key and if you don't get it then shoot for the expense of a scanner. cant rent or borrow them at auto zone and checker I think.

Reply to
rob

Like he said, works in "older" vehicles. A 94 is not a "later one"...

Reply to
Dan C

and he said he has a 94 caravan

"I am considering getting a scan code reader. I have a 94' Caravan (OBD 1)"

Reply to
rob

I am not familiar with the "key" method. I do not see how this could work of me since I do not have an instrument panel with a LCD (7-segment) digital display.

Reply to
Stephen Gertsch

rob

Thanks for the link. I tryed it but found it difficult to interprete the pauses between flashes. However, the End-Of-Codes (55) was clear. I took a movie of the flash sequence:

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/See folder: public/movie.wmv (2 MB file, playable on Window Media Player) I would appreciate a second opinion.

My interpretation is:

12 Battery or computer recently disconnected 21 Oxygen sensor signal doesn't change 17 Engine stays cool too long 55 End-Of-Codes
Reply to
Stephen Gertsch

looks right

experiences