obd reader for 2001 Forrester

What obd reader works for this model, any help would be appreciated.. Thank You Andres

Reply to
androan

Any one that can read ISO generic OBDII parameters. I use software for a laptop and Autotap interface. It works on both my Subarus, my son's Honda, and my sister's Chev.

Reply to
JD

I've got one I grabbed nearly on impulse from Wal Mart of all places for $100--works fine.

I posted the model and make here in the past--search the archives if interested. Innova something or other I think.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Hi, If you have a laptop, get a interface kit and OBD II scan software (some are freeware some are commercial). Then you can do more than reading/clearing trouble code. I use Proscan and ELM327 USB interface box.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I took our '97 Outback in for service at a mechanic I trust, who is happy to talk details with me, last week. It needed stuff I would usually do (struts, radiator) that I just have not had time for, we have a trip coming up. I mentioned that I had read out OBD codes, none there. He asked what I used to read them, then went on to say they just got a new and fancier reader and it was finding all sorts of things their previous readers were not getting. Now the new one was a multi-thousand-dollar complete system scanner, from GM I think, not a generic OBD reader. But now I am concerned, I thought that the codes were all supposed to be standardized. Naturally the system will grow, e.g. the addition of the CAN codes, but presumably a fairly large commercial firm like that already had something reading all of the standardized things, and like mine able to read out code numbers even for manufacturer-specific codes even if it did not know what a particular code meant. Can anybody enlighten us as to what the somewhat hidden things might be, and whether any affordable readers might see them? He said they had checked out a car with their previous machinery and seen no codes, then connected the new reader and found ten! Based on our discussions in the past and how he has been willing to be open with me, I don't think he was just trying to make me feel like I need to bring the car in rather than do my own work, we have a pretty good arrangement where I do the things I feel comfortable with and go to him for things like alignment where I don't have the needed tools.

Bob Wilson

"androan" wrote in message news:_Y6_i.42319$XF6.23411@edtnps90...

Reply to
Robert L Wilson