sudden problem over speed bump

all power went out when my Grand Caravan gingerly went over a speed bump today. Coasted to the side of road, placed in park when stopped and then started like a gem. Temp gauge OK, tranny fluid OK. Any ideas?

thx bob

Reply to
Bob

When you say all power went out what exactly does that mean? did it stall? The more info you can supply the more answers you will get back such as the year of the vehicle and what engine is in it.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn Thank you for answering.... It's a 2000 Grand Caravan w/ 3.3L The car simply stalled - similar to what happened about 1000 mi ago when a transmission hose disconnected from the radiator and all tranny fluid exsanguinated, but this time the fluids are fine. Seems like an electrical phenomenon to me, but I'm at a loss as to how to bird-dog the matter. Wife is reluctant to drive too far from home now.

Reply to
Bob

Bad connection through the engine ground strap?

Reply to
daytripper

A dirty throttle body will cause this to happen. When this happens you will loose everything until it restarts. Clean the inside of the bore and the upper an lower blade with a good throttle body cleaner to see if that corrects the problem. Other then that a scan tool may be needed to diagnose the problem

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Daytripper you nailed it!

A flat, woven cable attached to the frame on one end was no longer secured to the engine at the other end. The eyelet was still intact, indicating that the bolt that had secured it simply fell out. Trouble is, I could not see behind the engine where it was originally mounted. I presume this was the culprit because when I attached it securely to one of large bolts of the generator assembly (which is in contact with the engine), it no longer stalls over the speed bumps.

Only remaining question is: am I at risk of anything adverse since the original bolt that secured it to the engine is presumably gone?

thx aga>>>> all power went out when my Grand Caravan gingerly went over a speed >>>> bump

Reply to
Bob

Happy to have helped.

If all of the alternator mounting bolts are tightened to spec, and there is enough slack in the ground strap to allow the motor to move freely on its mounts, there's probably no difference exactly where you bolt it on - as long as the connection is solid and substantial...

/daytripper

Reply to
daytripper

Hmm Odd, there is also a ground wire at the right motor mount, this would have to be loose or missing also. I would suspect you still have the same problem just not acting up now

Glenn beasley Chrysler tech

-- Message posted using

information at

damnnickname