04 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI stalls.

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 with the Hemi engine. recently when it idles below 750 rpms it stalls. It only usually happends when I am slowing down and have let off the gas. I also have noticed that when sitting stationary it idles at exactly 500 rpms. This seems low and may contribute to why when it drops below 750rpms and slows it will stall out. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Reply to
jasoncrook

Clean the throttle body, Carbon builds up around the butterflies and slowly and closes the .010" gap that should be there. Once cleaned Good (you can use brake cleaner and a rag) you should notice a crisper throttle response as well. My 97 Sport did the same thing for a couple of months, I was waisting money replacing MAP sensors, TPS sensors, O2 sensors with no resolution until, someone told me to clean my throttle body, BINGO

Reply to
jlongx2

3M makes a kit available at most of the better automotive stores for cleaning throttle bodies and injection systems. it costs about 35 bucks and does the best job of anything i have ever used. just hang the can upside down, remove the breather, feed the tube in the throttle body, crank the truck and turn it on. the vehicle will smoke like a freight train for about 5 to 10 minutes. this kit not only get the throttle body clean but also the rest of the injection system.

if you run name brand premium gas this isn't necessary very often but if you are running off brand fuels and especially the lower octanes it would not hurt to service the fuel injection system yearly. i run nothing but premium fuel in all four of my gas burners from my own pump and still find it neccesary to clean the injection system about every 50 to 70k.

in this particular case i would recommend having your truck scanned to see if there are any codes. even if it shows and 02 sensor cleaning the injection system may clear it up. you should also check your plug wires and other easy to visually inspect components before you do too much in the way of swapping parts.

have you checked to make sure the air cleaner is not restricted and other really simple stuff such as vacum lines? michael

Reply to
nunya

I've not heard that premium burns cleaner than regular. Actually I've heard people report higher carbon build up after switching to premium for awhile.

Reply to
miles

Reply to
Mike

what people? the guys selling cheap gas or a mechanic that works on vehicles every day? if they are switching back and forth from cheap gas to premium how do they know which one is the culprit?

i had a truck that was giving me some trouble while it was still in warranty so i kept taking it to the dealer. after about half a dozen trips they couldn't find anything wrong so they said it was because i was buring premium gas. i switched to mid grade and it got worse. a couple of months of this and it slap quit running. i was so disgusted that i took it to a real mechanic instead of the factory tech of the week. it had quit running due to a nasty throttle body resulting from the cheaper gas. he also found the original problem that the dealer missed which was a simple vacum leak.

the great gas debate will continue forever but i have taken enough motors apart that i believe premium is better for the fuel delivery system than the cheaper alternatives. michael

Reply to
nunya

Drive a a few years on regular, then a year on premium. Some have stated after doing so they had carbon build up issues. Had it cleaned up then went back to regular and no problems since.

There is cheap gas and good gas whether its regular or premium. The simple truth of the matter is that Premium does not mean better and Regular does not mean worse. People seem to think Premium means cleaner, better, etc. It means no such thing at all.

Reply to
miles

Actually Chrysler. Chrysler has issued several TSB's that state using premium gas in a vehicle that does not require premium can cause driveability problems and will cause carbon build up in the engine.

All throttle bodies on all vehicles need peiodic cleaning regardless of what grade fuel is being used. I've seen a dirty throttle body cause a low idle/ no idle condition but I have yet to see it cause a vehicle to quit running completely.

he also found

All grades of gasoline sold in the US have to have detergents added to control fuel system deposits. Some companies may add more than the required amount but the EPA requires all gasoline sold to have at least the minimum amount.

More info can be found here:

Mike

the only thing that passes through a common day throttle body is air... gas is delivered through the injectors which are located in the intake runners. How does that relate the carbon problem to the throttle body?

Reply to
Roger Rabbid