'06 2500 Ram OBD basic questions

I would like to buy a reader for my truck. I have heard they are proprietary, and only dealers have them. What's the truth?

Any recommended brands?

What is the process to reset the engine light? I know there's no sense to reset it without checking first to see if there's a major problem. I just have a problem with taking it to the dealer all the time, taking time out to do it, and paying sometimes for things that don't really need to be done.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Truth is, since 96 or so all of them are basically the same,any reader will work, connector is the same on all, there are some Mfg specific codes, but they can be found on the internet. I use Actron.

Reply to
Joseph Myers

i cycle the key on -- off -- on -- off -- on and read the codes on the odometer when i need to check codes on mine. it will show the codes as Pxxx then Pdone as your sighn that the test was completed.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Depends on what you want to read and how deep you want to go. Any generic ODB II scan tool will read emmission related codes and reset the engine light. Most parts stores and repair shops will read the error code for you and look up what they mean. They want to sell you the repair parts.. If you want to get deeper into thinks like the deisel engine, auto trans, or ABS, then you need more and more sophisticated readers that can read enhanced ODB. The generic OBDII interface supports emission-related sensors which directly affect your vehicle¹s performance. For the most part, the sensors used by generic OBDII are those that are required for even the most complex servicing. The OBDII enhanced interface (GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mazda, and Toyota), support more sensors and fault codes. The enhanced support gives you even more information with which to diagnose your vehicle, but are typically extra cost options. I think there are some vehicle modules that only the dealer equipment have access to. Not that they are proprietarty but there is such low demand that a business case to develop the software cannot be made.

I have an autoenginuity which runs on a PC laptop. Take a look at autoenginuity.com for explanation.

In article , "Steve B" wrote:

I would like to buy a reader for my truck. I have heard they are proprietary, and only dealers have them. What's the truth?

Any recommended brands?

What is the process to reset the engine light? I know there's no sense to reset it without checking first to see if there's a major problem. I just have a problem with taking it to the dealer all the time, taking time out to do it, and paying sometimes for things that don't really need to be done.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Reply to
BoomTown

And then where do I go to interpret the results? I did this when I got the

7500 mile dealer oil change light. Various on and offs until I hit the right combination. I just don't want to be ignoring a serious message and resetting the light.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Any number of sites on-line. Here's one:

Generic codes are listed on that page. Follow the links for manufacturer-specific codes, as well.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks a bunch.

Steve