1998 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9

Hello all,have a question about a repair,on the steering box,the output shaft ,right above the pitman arm, is starting to leak pretty good,I was wondering if that seal can be replaced without removing the gearbox,off the truck?? Any information would be apprecited. Thank You. Elden snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net

Reply to
el jr64

I doubt it, There are some pretty large tools needed and no room. Once you fix it there is a company that sells a reinforcing bracket with an additional bearing that rides on the shaft right above the pitman arm. I put it on my lifted 4x4 (38"s) and it cured a lot of issues with wander and oscillation. It bolts to your existing swaybar holes between the swaybar and the frame.

RM v2.0

You should be able to replace the leaking seal without removing the steering box. Make sure you get a good pitman arm puller, sometimes those can be a bitch to remove and you will only break a cheap puller.

Reply to
Mike

Actually it is the easiest way to have it replaced. once you get the Pittman arm off, put a drain pan under the shaft and start the engine. Turn the steering wheel full one side and the pressure will blow the seal out. shut the engine off and reassemble.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Not without removing the snap ring first, it won't :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks for all the information. eljr64#webtv.net

Reply to
el jr64