2002 1500, alarm light goes on,, and no alarm installed

my 4.7 v8 2002 Dodge 1500 would not start one morning..the tiny dot like alarm red light was blinking in the dash...no power to anything..is there a quick fix to this?? I do not have an alarm on this unit.

Reply to
Gazoo2552

Try another ignition key, it's something to do with the chip built into the key. Somesort of a security system. The key needs to be reprogramed or replaced. Best to take it to the dealer. My 2003 was doing that also. It would start then in 5 secs it quit. Turn the key again, it would just turn over but not fire. I would wait for a couple of minutes and it would start.

Dodge dealership blamed it on my command start that someone else had installed. Noticed it was not a mopar part, so we will blame someone else :))

I had the command start disenabled, took it back to dodge. While there it would not start again. They had to order something that's under the dash that sends a signal to the key.

I don't care what the problem is because the truck belongs to someone else. Traded it in for a 2005 Ford F250 Superduty.

With the rusting fenders and the runaround I was getting from Dodge, I went back to my Ford dealership. dale

Reply to
Dale Yonz

How do you like the SuperDuty?

Reply to
TBone

Dale, did you have the Ford dealer put on the flaps and trim?

Reply to
FMB

got a good deal on a Ford powerstroke.

There's a pic of my Ford. Also picture of the dodge sitting on the carlot. It was sold three days later.

Both trucks are 3/4 tonnes,automatics, leather, diesels. The dodge was a Laramine and the ford is a Lairiat.

The dodge had the standard output engine , the 250 or whatever hp. I chipped the dodge this spring and that improved the power. But the 6 litre ford has plenty of power.

The Ford has more leg room in the rear cab then the Dodge. The dodge has a built in garage door opener that the superdutys don't have. Had to go and clip my old opener on the viser.

The dodge had a compartment under the back seats and another compartment under the front middle seat where the center armrest goes down. The dodge had more storage space for smaller items.

The tranny on the dodge was poor shifting, the ford shifts a lot nicer.

I liked the cummins straight six, don't know too much about the powerstroke. The cummins is still a better engine.

On highway driving I would get 20 to 22 miles per gal in cdn. I don't know what that be in american gals. The cdn gal has 4.54 litres and an american has 3.8 litres to a gal. Next day after getting the ford, made a highway trip. Drove at different speeds, alternated between 55 to 65 then to 75, got

19 miles per gal. I was quite happy with that. The truck only had 100 miles on it.

The engine oil filter will be nice to change on the Ford. It sits on top of the engine. On the cummins it was on the side of the engine. Too high up to get it from the underneath. So I'd take the turbo hose off that comes from the air box, to make it easier to get to the filter. You had to be careful to get it out without spilling oil all over. Then I came with an idea. Loosen the oil filter, then slip a plastic bag under it. Spin the filter off and it drops into the bag. No oil spills.

The dodge box narrows down towards the endgate. I had a round 250 gal water tank that used to fit in a 2001 dodge. But in 2003, they redesigned the dodge/ the tank would fit inside the truck box, but to empty the tank, I would slide it out of the box onto the endgate and tilt it over to drain it. With the narrowing at the back of the truck box, the tank couldn't slide out. I had to buy a rectangleur tank to fit into the dodge.

The ford has brighter headlites then the dodge. Nice bright high beams. The spot lights (those that are at the bottom oof the bumper) on the dodge where better then the fords. The fords are closer together. The dodges are wider apart and light up the sides at nite a lot better.

2005 fords had suspension changed on the front, ride a lot better then the dodge. I had weights on the back of the dodge, that improved the ride when I first got the dodge. But the ford still rides better, even without any weight.

I have backup warning system on the fords bumper. Sure like that. Dodge doesn't even offer that option.

Will let you know more as to how the ford is running.

Dale

Reply to
Dale Yonz

The trim came factory installed. Mud flaps, the dealer installed.

Reply to
Dale Yonz

It sounds like an un-biased fair review. Good write-up Dale.

-- Ken

Reply to
Nosey

Thanks Ken, I tell it like it is :)) Nothing is made perfect, everything has some sort of faults. That includes vehicles, tractors, combines and even women :)) dale

Reply to
Dale Yonz

Uh oh... :)

Know any good Chevy dealers?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Didn't ya just go through this??? I see a chevy in yer future

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Yeah, not chevy, but got friends at John Brydges my Gmc dealer. Wife drives an envoy.

Reply to
Dale Yonz

My wife has a Envoy as well. Happy as hell with it, a real nice little vehicle.

Roy

Reply to
Roy