92 4x4 auto 318 > 360 conversion

I have a 92 4x4 auto 318 with a BUSTED 318... bought it that way.

I have a 360 engine I just bought from a wrecked 1500, 1995 auto 4 x 4

Ive done some research and know i have to have a 350 torque converter.

my 95 harmonic balancer is damaged, but I cant use the 318.. Right???

My VIN is 1B7GG23Y8NS556379

What transmission do I have.

Im planning to go with: the 92 computer the 92 fuel rail (they have different fuel lines) the 95 injectors the 92 starter the 92 exhaust headers (they are still attached to the exhaust) the 92 oil pan (the 95 was damaged in the wreck)

any other issues?????

earl groce Advance, nc

Reply to
Earl Groce

A couple of things, you need the 360 converter and balancer. You'll also need a replacement oil pan, the 318 pan won't work on the 360. I'm not sure I'd try the '92 318 computer on the '95 360. You may have wiring problems with the '95 injectors. There's also the slightly different drivers side motor mount bracket, cheap at the dealer. Just remove the '95 mounts, they're not used on the '92. Your current transmission is an A-518 or in more current terms a 46RH? Be careful not to damage the crankshaft pickup sensor when you remove the engine, it's on the transmission bell housing upper passenger side.

Now that's over with, your current truck does have a magnum 318, right? I'd heard not all '92 318's are magnums?

Reply to
BigIronRam

THe old 318 is a magnum engine..

earl

Reply to
Earl Groce

I was bored and the swap is interesting so I went looking around for information and found this you will probably find helpful. Note the information on the oil pan!

BigIronRam

I was investigating this, also. Found an article on Google that stated that the torque converters were balanced assemblies and it made no difference which one was used. Only the weighted flex plate needed to be swapped (remain with the 360)..

They further stated that if you disassembled the 360 and balanced it, internally, then an unweighted flex plate should be used on it, along with either torque converter.

Did I get some bad info??

"Leroy"

Reply to
Leroy

Gary, I don't know. I've done the '93 to '97 318 swap, the older 318 (carb) to later 360 (tbi)swap but I don't have any experience with the 360 Magnum swap. I know the 360 Magnum is externally balanced like the older one, but it's "less" external than it was.

The only plan I have right now is a 5.7 hemi in my 360 Ramcharger when the time comes. Unless of course if the 6.1 hemi prices come down by then...

Reply to
BigIronRam

GET the correct dampner for the engine, change the Oil pan, CHeck

1AAuto.com & correct the Torque converter balance. For this contact you Mopar Preformance dealer they have a balance weight kit that you can buy
Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Further thought and research indicates you're probably correct. I now suspect strongly with the advent of fuel injection and the introduction of the crank position sensor the flex plate is probably where the balancing is done on the 360. I do NOT have first hand experience with this one, hope someone who does speaks up.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Earl, I have done this swap on my '96. It was easy. Only had 2 problems. The 318 is internally balanced and the 360 is externally balanced. So you must use the 360 balancer and the 360 flexplate. The torque converter doesn't matter. You may use the 318 computer, but you must use the 360 injectors. Please note the electric connectors for the injectors may be different. If so, wire in the 360 connectors to the 318 harness. Also make sure you have enough water temp sensors in the inlet manifold casting. I had 2 on the 318 and only one on the 360, so I drilled and tapped the manifold to accomodate the 318 harness. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

about my Oil Pan...... The 360 pan is fairly damaged... Its a rear sump pan. THe old 318 pan is (full of piston debris and antifreeze) :) :) but its fine. Its also a rear sump. the rear sump on the 360 looks bigger. Will they interswap IF i interswap the oil pick up, IF necessary for the depth.

IE, what is the REAL difference between the two Oil Pans that makes everyone say they will not swap.???????

BTW, my transmission is a 46RH according to the local dodge dealer.... According to my VIN Number................

Im working with a MOPAR expert that happens to work at the local AutoZOne.. He told me to count the wire connections on the drivers side of the transmission. One wire plug = no over drive. Two wire plugs = OD, 3 wire plugs = OD plus Lock up torque converter. Mine has TWO wire plugs.

He says I have to have a weighted SOMETHING... Either a weighted flex plate for $75 or a new Weighted torque converter... also $75 bucks. Guess I will go with the weighted torque converter.

earl

Reply to
Earl Groce

I have a 92 318 4x4 auto Dakota. Im putting in a 95 360 from a 1500

4x4 auto.

About my Oil Pan...... The 360 pan is fairly damaged... Its a rear sump pan. THe old 318 pan is (full of piston debris and antifreeze) :) :) but its fine. Its also a rear sump. the rear sump on the 360 looks bigger.

Will they interswap IF i interswap the oil pick up, IF necessary for the depth.

IE, what is the REAL difference between the two Oil Pans that makes everyone say they will not swap.???????

I have found out that the pan gaskets have different parts numbers at Autozone...

earl

Reply to
Earl Groce

The rear seal area on the 360 is a much larger diameter. You must have a

360 pan and probably one specifically for a Dakota.

Thanks to Steve for first hand experience with the swap.

Reply to
BigIronRam

I had been holding off on removing the 360 pan waiting on INFORMATION...

I just did. I beat the bottom back out so the oil pickup would not hold the pan off the old 318 block... THe rear and front seals Seem the same to me as the 318. certainly not a BIG difference like a 351 ford vs a 302 ford. with the 318 gasket in place, It looks like a perfect fit....

Could it be that on the Magnum engines that they are the same?????????????????????????????? What's going on here??

earl

Reply to
Earl Groce

Ive got BOTH pans off... Had both pans setting on the old 318 with the

318 gasket laid in place.. On these two MAGNUM engines There Just AINT no difference in the pans in the rear seal area...

the 318 is a very late model.. previous owner said a 2001. the 360 is a 95. The measurement across BOTH of the opening is 5 3/8 inches..

My question now is did dodge change the late 318s to have the same rear bearing cap as the 360 or WHAT GIVES????

NO ONE seems to have ever experienced this on TWO FORUMS...

Earl

Reply to
Earl Groce

Perhaps your 360 isn't a 360?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Already checked that.....The block says 360 on the side of the casting... exactly the same place as the 318 says 318.

?????????????????????????

Earl

Reply to
Earl Groce

Steven,

Im getting a lot of different info on this issue..

My flexplate on the two engines have the same part number. AND the same rear seal area and pan are the same on both engines..

IVe checked the casting and one says 360 the other says 318.. otherwise id assume i have two 318's

any help is appreciated.

One other guy said there is no torque converter issues between the engines... ie Magnum 318 and Magnum 360

earl

Reply to
Earl Groce

I've always understood the reason for the different oil pans was the larger main journal of the 360 (2.81") vs. the 318 (2.5"). They're still the same for the magnum engines and as I understand it the crankshaft is one of only two parts that interchange from the old engine. So the short answer is I don't know. You've got everything you need in front of you in spite of what we think. If I were you, I'd just get on with it and do it. You now have first hand experience which I lack with the magnum engine swap. It sounds like it's all downhill for you now, good luck to you.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Buying a torque converter tomorrow for my 318 > 360 swap because I have to have a Weighted Torque Converter to go with the 360.

According to my Dealer, according to the VIN #, my 92 4x4 318 has a

46RH.

Two plugs on the side. Three wires to both.

THE QUESTION: are all 46RH transmissions Lock Up OD transmissions??

earl

Reply to
Earl Groce

Yes