'99 RAM 1500 speaker install help

Can anyone please give me advice on how to remove the front and rear panels so I can install the new speakers I bought?

Reply to
CHUD

the rears are not worth changing, their size and location are the problem. The are ok for rear fill the fronts are easy but it appears you are not smart enough to figure it out on your own, so maybe its time to buy speakers at the stereo store and have them install them.

Reply to
I'm Right

There is a few push clips on the door panels. Just pull out on the bottom. Changing the speakers won't do much if you have an infinity system. The radio is only preamped. Speakers have the amp right on them.

Reply to
ytnyt

Gee, this was a real helpful answer, asshole!

Reply to
TBone

honesty hurts ,grow up

Reply to
I'm Right

LOL, it is not being honest, it is you being an asshole. Why couldn't you just answer the question like the other poster did. Is it that you don't know or is it more along the lines of you whining because you feel that business is being taken away from you?

Reply to
TBone

you could be right, he should listen to you here. being an asshole is something that you really do have experience at.

Reply to
thenewguy

Guy, ya owe me a friggin' keyboard!!

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Reply to
Dimbo Spams

ZING....

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

So, which of the choices did you make? rofl

We upgraded the speakers on our 01 Dakota... the difference between buying the speakers on the web or buying them at a Circuit City and getting "free" installation was about $75... For $75, I wasn't going to be pulling door panels off... we had CC mess with it.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Speaker replacement is definitely a DIY project.

I replaced the fronts (infinity system) (when they failed) on my Dodge 1998 RAM quad cab.

Make certain whatever you buy fits. They should be no deepr than 3 1/4".

Replacement speakers I used are: Pioneer TS-A6970R 6"x9" 3-way Speakers These sound great.

To remove the front door panels.

  1. Roll window down

  1. Remove 2 philips head screws in door handle pocket.

  2. Then starting from the lower front door pull out on the panel. Panel is held in by replaceable plastic clips (available at Autozone). Once you get the first clip out the others come out easier. Once all the clips are out pull up on the panel.

  1. Disconnect speaker wiring connector attached on top front part of panel. On mine I believe I also had to disconnect the connector that goes to the power mirror.

  2. Speakers are held in by 4 screws. As someone pointed the Infinity speakers have the amp mounted on them (screws). I removed the amps from the Infinity speakers and attached them (tightly) to the new speakers using tie wraps. Attach speaker wires, these are push on friction held clips.

To reinstall, reverse the order above. I ended up replacing some of the clips that got a bit beat up during panel removal These snap in to the door panel.

The rear speakers are the original and I didn't replace these. My understanding they are 5 1/4". The procedure for replacing these is very similar to the fronts.

As someone pointed out you don;t get a lot of sound out of these in the quad cab. (esp. when the rear seat is in the down position). I've noted the sound is better with the seat up.

-Jim

Reply to
JAMES FLAHERTY