Anti lock brakes

My wife has a 1996 Dodge B3500 Van. I need to replace the front rotors. The guy at AutoZone wants to know if it has 4 wheel anti lock brakes or rear wheel only. How can I tell? The owner's manual is of no help.

Reply to
Bigdad

It's an available option. Most Dodge trucks have a sticker either under the hood or in the glove box listing what options were ordered for the vehicle.

Also, for simple brake pads, calipers, and rotors, it often doesn't matter if they are ABS or not. Have the parts guy (or got to autozone's web site) look up the part numbers for ABS and non-ABS. If they are the same numbers, you're set.

Reply to
.boB

My wife has a 1996 Dodge B3500 Van.

I need to replace the front rotors.

The guy at AutoZone wants to know if it has 4 wheel anti lock brakes or rear wheel only.

How can I tell? The owner's manual is of no help.

============= ============= Easy proof.....

There will be an electrical wire on both front brakes, running down behind the spindle and rotors.....attached to sensors.

No wires.... No sensors.... No 4 wheel ABS

~;~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Does your dash have an anti-lock lamp that comes on and goes off when you start it. Just take the VIN to the $tealer they can let you know.

Reply to
Coasty

And he's supposed to decode that sticker, how?

It matter if the wheel speed tone ring is part of the rotor hub, which in the case of RWD vehicles with front ABS is almost always is.

Has it occurred to you that AutoZone's computer has already anticipated that the parts _are_ different and that's why the counter droid is asking?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

No Stickers

It's not simple rotors. The rotors are part of the hub assembly and the one for front wheel anti loock brakes cost about twice as much.

Reply to
Bigdad

You're right! There are no wires.

Thanks everyone!

Reply to
Bigdad

There's no decoding involved. It's just a list of options. My truck has one.

True, in that case it would a different part. But what about calipers, pads and hoses? The only way to know is check the part numbers. On my Dakota, the ring is not part of the rotor. So the rotor is the same for both apps.

Not at all. For example, go in to just about any parts store and ask for a voltage regulator for a 1970 Mustang. They want to know engine size, and carb size to get to the right reference page. Although we all know that voltage regulators for

1970 Ford are all the same, regardless of engine or even chassis.

The counter droid is often just that, a droid who only knows how to use the computer. I once went in to get spark plugs. I asked for a set of Autolite

3294's. He insisted on looking it up in the computer, even though I told him it was a custom app. After a while I gave up and went to another store.
Reply to
.boB

And it distinguishes between RWAL and 4WAL?

Hoses can easily be different since many times they have the added bracketry for the wheel speed sensor wiring. Calipers and rotors can be different also if the ABS package is bundled in with wheel size options.

Your Dakota is 4X4. Big difference in architecture between Dakota 4X4 and a RWD B van.

Unfair to compare what gets a part for a 35 year old car to something more current.

Agree 100%, but that -is- the program and he's (the droid) not often in a position to do something about it.

I feel very fortunate that there are no AutoZoo's in this immediate area.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

That doesn't tell you anything. My '95 with RWAL has the same ABS light that a truck with 4WABS would have.

Easiest way to tell is to look for the sensor wire along the front brake line as suggested - which the OP has done and determined he doesn't have

4WABS
Reply to
Tom Lawrence