Built like a Mercedes (?)

Pape and Danforth actually, nor Scarborough. Golly, I must have been speeding. How bout that.

That was 16 years ago though. We moved out to the country 10 years ago.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

You must have very relaxed work practices to allow 4 hours driving to go to lunch !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

They may be tough but I'll bet you're not getting the best out of them.

There's more to life than machismo.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

What, you don't worship Firefox?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Ok, what's the official average annual mileage for any region in NA? E.g. Canada or Ontario, since we are in Canada in this part of the thread.

I bet it varies across the region, depending on where one lives. I wonder if people living in the NYC/Philadelphia areas, e.g., drive less than those in the more 'remote' areas.

In UK it is 12 000 miles, I think.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

for Canada, and probably most places in the world, 20k km is considered average. I note that that's just a tad over the 12k miles you suggest for GB

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I meant dinner actually.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

It's 15K here, but most people live in cities. I'm 40 miles from the closest one.

If I look out my windoew I see 300 acres of forest, a river and two waterfalls. This place has a barn big enough for 6 cars and when we moved here there was a garage pretty much across the road. Clsoed now. Pity.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

A long distance for me is anything over 300 miles in a day. What is it for you?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Ah! Back to the perrenial "mine is bigger than yours" arguement. Very original.

Many Canadians

Done that myself. Actually 1800 miles in seven days with a 24ft caravan behind. No problem.

I don't know what in Hell you think is so unique about your conditions. I have over a 200 mile round trip to music concerts and I do them after six pm and get back before 2am. Nothing unusual. I travel in excess of 20,000 miles per annum in my business vehicle alone and my wife and I also put in another 18000 miles in our private Range Rover. Nothing unusual. I have a friend who does in excess of 50,000 business miles per year, all in the UK. That would be considered high mileage.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

My barn is bigger than yours LOL. It can hold 15 articulated wagons with

40ft trailers at any one time. And that's a fact.

You see two can play that game and you need to be sure that yours is actually bigger to be sure of winning.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I'm sure your barn is bigger but I'm not intrerested in "winning" anything, I'm just pointing out why I don't live in a city despite the distance invoved.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I think the point the OP made is that the UK would fit in the state of Rhode Island or some such thing. Distances involved in the UK and Europe are different than north america. What would be a normal drive to say, go buy a table or chair here would in Europe be the same as driving across 3 borders when it's the same distance.

And while you may rack up high miles you are the exception not the rule. I remember the day (ok I'm dating myself) when Cardiff to Londo was a day trip. Now I go that far to buy crickets for my kids lizard and think nothing of it.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Dialing 1 then area code before the number.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Then why mention the size or assume about driving distances. You cannot generalise. I have friends who have holiday homes in the South of France and they regularly drive both ways. I do not know how far that is and would not presume to compare it with your mileage.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I am far from exceptional. I am not the old boy who just drives to the other side of the village to fetch a paper but I would certainly not presume to be anything like exceptional. For a start, most of my mileage is actually within Wales. If you actually travel 200 miles for the purpose you describe then you really need to reassess life's priorities ;-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Travel time from Pope and Danforth to Waterloo has likely doubled in the last 10 years.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Actually, it has gone up over the last 10 years 20,000Km per year is now considered to be low mileage. A 5 year old car with "only" 100,000 Km is a low mileage used car. Average 5 year old car on the lot here has 150-180 thousand KMs on it.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Huw - you are missing the point. If you want to go for "records" try

1770 km in 18 hours - non stop. or 3521 KM in 42 hours in the dead of winter - including an 8 hour rest stop. - for personal, not business purposes.

We can do that here too, if we choose to.

For business purposes? Just to and from work MANY drive 56000 miles a year. That's not "business miles". I know of lots of cars putting on well in excess of 80,000 per year for business purposes, calling on clients, or doing light delivery (courier service). Never leaving the province of Ontario - or even Southern Ontario (south of, say Barrie)

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Because I've lived in the UK and I've lived in Canada and I've lived in the US and know the difference. You?

A drive from London to Madrid is the same distance as Toronto to Atlanta. Half as much again and you're in Florida. While I've known people that have driven that for the wekend, that's no more the norm than a holiday home in spain for most people.

Again, one can drive that distance and still be in Ontario. The scale of how far you *routinly* travel is much much larger in North America than Yurrup or the UK.

Reply to
Richard Sexton