caravan 3.0 start problem--- bad computer?

caravan 3.0 start problem

i do have a manual and test gear

my caravan wouldn't start --just sputter like it was out of gas

while doing some troubleshooting i mistakenly applied 12 volt + to the negative terminal of the coil.

after that there was no more sputtering or spark.

what could i have burned out ? where does the negative terminal of the coil go?

i am able to read engine computer codes--could it also be bad?

any help greatly appreciated

bobby

Reply to
bobbypri

It sounds like you fried either the ignition module or the computer. What year is it?

Reply to
TBone

Id check for a fuse link first..altho, its VERY possible that the mis-application of 12V where 12Vaint supposed to be may have shorted the primary windings in the coil..

Reply to
webmaster

Applying 12V to the ground side of the coil should not have hurt it since there really is no way through the coil to ground that way but you did make a valid point of checking the fuses first. The problem as I see it is that he sent a hell of a lot of currrent through the ignition controller by attaching 12V directly to its input which caused something to fail.

Reply to
TBone

DUH....nevermind on the primary coil windings stuff.. Thats what I get for posting at 3am, working on taxes, and trying to write a mail to a guy about how 220V works...and doesent.. DC steve..DC....DUH!

Reply to
webmaster