Check Engine Light

Just bought a 04' Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab from a local dealership. I drive away from the lot and after about 25 minutes of driving notice the check engine light has come on. Next day I bring it to the dealership they check it out and tell me that because the truck has an aftermarket dual exhaust it is causing the light to come on. Being that I am somewhat uneducated when it comes to vehicles I am hoping to get a second opinion from someone here. Does this sound like a likely scenario and what can be done, if anything, to get the light to go out short of changing my exhaust system?

Thanks

Reply to
ckreipel

Still under warranty? Did they offer a warranty? What was the code ?

Reply to
GeekBoy

If that is the case, then they should replace it for you free of charge or take the truck back. I would have give you the code and then explain to you exactly how this dual exhaust could possibly cause this problem.

Reply to
TBone

No.

Let's start by finding out what the code is. Cycle the ignition switch three times (ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON) - do not turn it to START - just to ON when all the dash lights light up. When you turn it on the final 3rd time, the odometer will display one (or more) OBD-II "P" codes (like P0455, P0336, etc.) Copy these down, and post them.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Isn't there a law or somethng about this? I thought emission systems and anything related to them are not supposed to be altered!!

Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

That is correct EMISSION CONTROL is not suppose to be altered.

That does not mean you cannot add on. It also depends on what state you are in.

Reply to
GeekBoy

I dont know what the actual code was but they told me it was for the Catalytic Convertor which is still under warranty but they say there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Reply to
ckreipel

Well, if the exhaust system has been tampered with.... Still I believe you may have a possible cause for action against the selling dealer. Warranty of merchantibility if nothing else. What you have right now won't pass an emissions inspection unless they fudge it and that's federal!

Stop calling and stop talking. Immediately put your complaint in writing and send it certified to the dealership, attn: General Manager, also immediately file a complaint with your local Better Business Bureau. Do this immediately. Don't threaten to do it; do it right now to protect your rights.

Handl>

Reply to
RamMan

although i dont disagree with calling the BBB you also realize all they can do is file a complaint. they have absolutively no power to do any thing else.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

It does make official documentation of the problem held by a third party. I would think the record could be used in court as proof of a pre-existing condition if it went that far.

Reply to
Nosey

of course. thats why i said i did not disagree. but my sister works for the local branch of the BBB and until she took that job and i talked with her as to what all her job entails, i did not realize exactly how limited they are. basically they are a mediator, kind of a peace maker.

i was just trying to let people know that they really can only file the compalint and let people checking into a business that said business has had "x" number of complaints.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Writing the letter and sending it certified to the dealership general mgr. will probably also succeed in really pissing off the dealer, because now you've just thrown the first "official" punch. He may have little recourse except to address your problem to your satisfaction or take the vehicle back and refund your money (less a std. mileage allowance for any miles you've put on it). At this point his cheapest "out" would be to eat the cost to put it back stock, because if he can't sell it to you he also can't sell it to anyone else other than take it to the auction and still having to make you "whole" on the deal. I doubt his margin on YOUR deal was so slim that he wouldn't still be ahead just to sub it out to a muffler shop and get you out of his hair.

Reply to
RamMan

OK, please help me with a different question. I've got a 95 1500 with a 5.3L engine. 88K miles. Occasionally, the check engine light comes on. Sometimes when I start it and sometimes when it's been running. it doesn't stay on. Before a go to the local stealer, can anyone tell me the different reasons the light may come on? It got a new cat installed at about 65K miles (still under the warranty). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

There's your problem - someone transplanted a Chevy engine into your Dodge :) (It's a 5.2L engine, aka 318cu.in.)

You can check the codes yourself. See here for details:

Tom Lawrence

or maybe someone decided that they wanted to have a good looking body on their chevy. *grin*

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Thanks Tom for that link. Sorry about the liter conversion - I knew it was a

318. The process of retrieving the codes worked. I got:

31: EVAP Solenoid Circuit - Short or open in the EVAP solenoid circuit. Check for loose, broken, or shorted wire in the charcoal canister purge solenoid wiring and connectors.

37: Torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or Trans temp sensor too high or low - Open or short in CKT wiring or connectors. Voltage out of range at transmission temperature sensor input. From the 1995 TRUCK (Ram) manuals: the trailer towing package includes a transmission coolant temp sensor while the standard package doesn't. The fault code detection system is probably the same for both models. This could cause the low (no) voltage indication....no sensor to send any voltage.

So if this is a intermittent problem, would it appear this is just a loose wire or could this be something much worse? Hate going to the stealer here. When I took it in for a 60K check up, I mistakenly forgot to ask what it would cost. When they called me 5 hours later, I went to pick it up and they gave me a bill for $1200+. They did not fix anything, that was just for the routine maintenance (replace fluids, spark plugs, etc.) After I picked myself off the floor, went to the bank for a personal loan, I vowed never to go back. I'd like to be able to fix this myself if possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Okay - it's the code 31 that's setting the check engine light. The code 37 won't light it. I used to have a code 37 on my '95 V10 all the time... the big cooling system kept the trans fluid cool enough that it would trip the code. If you don't notice your torque converter clutch mis-behaving, I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the evap. solenoid, well - check the wiring, and test the solenoid for proper resistance (should be >100ohms). If it isn't, replace the solenoid.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thank you sir. I really appreciate your help.

geez i feel so stupid. i looked last night for the charcoal canister under the hood and could not find it. i'm used to a round coffee can like canister and i did not see anything like that under the hood. is it hidden? or does it look different from canisters i'm used to seeing? i feel like a fool even asking this question.

passenger-side frame rail. It's rectangular.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence