colour of wire from O2 sensor in carbeurated 86-ish ram?

dear fellow artful dodgers,

Some jerk cut the pigtail off the oxygen sensor on my exhaust on my mostly

86 225 ram it should go to the electronic spark control unit (ECU)

my shitty haynes manual shows only wiring for EFI models my 91 ramcharger service manual is too old of course i can't find a decent service manual when i need one my other 86 ram is not the same, and neither are the other 2

looked at wiring for other models (since the truck is a farm truck, saw no salt but a creative mish-mash of 80's rams) still can't find the wiring BUT Napa also says they have a part for this model and the butt end looks like the plug which is what is left of the O2 sensor

anyone have a proper chrysler service manual and could look this up for me pleeease?

tia rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

I have several manuals including the '86. As near as I can tell, you're looking for the N11 circuit, an 18 ga. black wire. From the O2 sensor it goes through an 8 way (4x2) connector on it's way to the spark control computer. I'm sorry I can't help more than this.

Reply to
BigIronRam

dear big iron,

you're an angel -- this is a huge help -- colour stays black -- 18 ga -- find connector -- look for thick black beheaded or dangling wire at ecu

i had found references to the o2 sensor in the haynes manual but only for fuel injection systems your description of N11 is almost identical to the one they describe for tbi, n11 pink at sensor goes through 4x2 connector, changes colour to black/dark green and goes to 41, so i am looking for different colours, but can also use this diagram positionaly to help me muddle along with fair confidence

i'll let you know how things turn out :-) many thanks rach ...now if i could just get my hands on your wiring diagrams (grin)

Reply to
Rachel Easson

Dear big iron,

cold you give me any pointers to where the 4x2 connector is located? btw, I got some help -- it is not a ecu, but an ecm (emmission control module)

any help is truly appreciated - i can't even get home right now ...rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

The manual is of very little help here, they simply don't anticipate people cutting up the wiring harness. The manual_claims_ the connector is at center of dash, indicating inside the cab. I find that hard to believe, could be I guess.

The manual indicates the spark control computer is air cleaner mounted? I know the V8 trucks were behind the battery in '86. Maybe you can find the connector by working from the computer? If you can, here are the circuits going to the 8 way connector from the scc.

  1. N3 18 ga. violet
  2. N10 18 ga. black/red tracer
  3. N9 18 ga. dark green
  4. N15 18 ga. tan
  5. N11 18 ga. black
  6. N4 18 ga. light green/yellow tracer
  7. N5 18 ga. black/light blue tracer
  8. T9 20 ga. black
  9. N6 18 ga. orange

I'm not familiar with an emission control module, at least not on an '86 model truck, could be different terminology?

Sorry I can't be more help, Texas is too far from Canada...

Reply to
BigIronRam

I don't have access to a scanner until Monday. If you want these pages I'll be happy to send them to you.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Dear bigiron,

i am having keyboard problems too

been trying to thank you all morning we have a blizzard here -- so i am going to do this monday, but you have given me everything i need, much appreciated. the ecm IS behind the battery i tried finding the connector as you mentioned and i agree -- the dash would be a silly place for it -- and who heard of an ecm on an air cleaner (grin) i will give yu an updat e befre dark monday ... here gos kyboad again /..aaag

if

Reply to
Rachel Easson